Chapter Eleven

oh my gosh this did get oh my gosh 2k read thanks so much all of you who still read even though i take forever to update i know i know so sorry but anyhow here it is thanks again still just for reading

**********************************

Ally's P.O.V.

It was official - Ally Dawson was a bipolar girl. I think I like Austin, whenever he's around, I get butterflies, and he makes everything better, even if I just hear his voice. He's a great dancer and an amazing singer, and most of all, the best friend I'll ever have.

Maybe more than a friend.

But with Dallas, whenever he looks over at me in the food court, and smiles, I have to smile back. He's so nice, and so innocent, and so everything.

I'll say it though - Dallas can't compare to Austin.

And now I've realized it, I've known it, and it's stuck in my mind. So Austin is the one I like. But what about me? Me, the one Austin likes...right?

"Ally!" demanded Trish, making me blink and shake my head.

"What?"

"Time to go!" She jerked me out of my chair and opened the door, urging me to just walk out of it already.

It was the day of the gala - more specifically, the time. One hour away. One hour. One.

"Ally!" sang Dez, seeing me when I walked down the stairs. "I'm so excited!"

Trish followed me, with a less enthusiastic response from Dez. "Oh," he said, giving her a thumbs down. "Look who came too."

"Trish!" I tried filling in for Dez, but Trish had already given him a glare.

"You look just as stupid as normal, Dez," she replied sweetly, a scowl still evident on her face.

"Thank you," Dez answered, dusting it off. "I think it's the suspenders that really set it off, right?"

Austin pushed in. "Come on, guys, let's just go." He herded us all to the front doors of Sonic Boom. "I got a limo!"

We piled in, Trish shoving Dez, Dez kicking Trish, Trish insulting Dez, Dez sulking at Trish, Trish demanding that Dez should suck it up and be a man.

Austin and I found a seat and sat quietly. 

Opposites attract, don't they?

"So...you coming to the afterparty?" Austin gave me a half-smile.

"Yeah."

The car, excuse me, limo started up and began driving. "Like your dress," he offered.

"Thanks," I replied.

Awkward. It was getting awkward again. Just like it had been when we were dating. Dating. As in not anymore. Awkwardness was why we broke up, and I'm not letting Austin go because of that again.

"So, what songs are you performing tonight? More than one?" I looked over at him.

"Sure, um, the one we wrote, some others, I guess." He laughed. "I am Austin Moon."

"Don't be so sure, Austin," I told him. "You got sued once, it could happen again."

Austin shook his head, letting his hair fly loose. "Um, I'm pretty sure the crazy cat manager won't be bothering us again." Us. Not him, us. Here we go with the butterflies...

I patted down his hair, smoothing down his disheveled head. "That's the spirit."

The limo pulled up into an almost full parking lot. It was filled with fancy cars and expensive vehicles. Austin's made it big now.

"I wonder if they have Flame-O's here," Dez mused.

Austin elbowed him. "Don't be stupid, Dez," he said, sighing disappointedly.

Trish nodded. "Yeah, give it a try, it's nice not being stupid," she added sincerely.

"They only sell Flame-O's at airports," Austin finished. Trish rolled her eyes.

We walked into the backstage area, checking in with a security guard. He grunted at our invitation and let us in the room.

"Wow," mouthed Dez.

"Yeah," I agreed.

"They do have Flame-O's here!" he announced happily.

I was astonished as well, but for different reasons. The dressing room they'd assigned to Austin had so many things that just made it perfect. There were pictures of all four of us, a table filled with food, and a piano. 

"Pickles!" I gasped, reaching over to the bottle of dark green vegetables floating around in vinegar. I pulled one out. "And they're good," I emphasized. 

"Cake!" shouted Dez, grabbing a tiny cupcake and shoving it into his mouth. "And cookies!" He was almost overwhelmed by the possibilities of so many foods.

I walked over to the shiny, polished piano. "Let's practice, Austin," I suggested. "We've still got twenty minutes."

"Okay," he decided agreeably. "Why not."

He sang first, then me, then him again. I played the chords while he played single notes, melody, harmony, a song. 

"Nice," Dez complimented, stuffing a potato into his wide mouth.

"Amazing," said Trish, clapping.

The door opened to reveal a man in headphones holding a clipboard. "Austin Moon, you're on in five," he instructed. The door closed.

"Well, wish me luck," Austin said, folding his hands together. 

"Don't screw up," Trish directed.

"Good luck, buddy," Dez said.

"You're gonna do great." I smiled. "Promise."

He nodded his head, reassured, and left the room. "See you guys soon."

I waved at my friends too. "I'm going. Pianist, right?" I gave Trish a hug, patted Dez's shoulder and went on stage.

"Good luck, Ally," whispered Austin right before the stage opened. Lights shone bright, down on my face, causing me to squint. Austin winked, gripping his microphone tightly.

The entire audience was revealed. Whoa, I thought. This is a big crowd. 

I'm over my stage fright, but everyone is a little nervous at a lot of people.

There had to be at least five thousand people in the room, definitely more. I shivered, wiping my palms on my dress.

I breathed out, calming myself down. Don't be scared, don't be scared.

Asutin's voice rang out, loud and clear, and I stopped being so intimidated. Austin's here, Ally, I chided myself. You can do this.

Good luck, good luck is what I need, because all I'm depending on right now is the support of Austin.