Sylvester

"Sylvester Dodd?"

I didn't look up. My hands trembled against my face.

"Mister Dodd?"

The voice barely registered.

A hand touched my shoulder, and I flinched away, letting my hands fall away from my face.

"Mister Dodd, visitors are allowed in now. His condition is stabilized."

I looked up at last to see a woman standing above me. A concerned look covered her face.

I nodded once and put a hand on the chair so I could stand up.

"Do you want a debriefing?" she asked. "I can send in a doctor."

"I'd appreciate that," I said, and hauled myself to my feet.

"He's not exactly in the best of moods right now. The others - the ones that were waiting in the other room - are with him. Do you know the way?"

"Turn left, then third door on the right," I told her, knowing I was right.

She nodded, seeming a bit surprised. "Yes. I don't completely understand. . .I know you can't explain. But I hope that everyone will be okay."

I ducked my head in thanks and started toward the hallway.

I wasn't even there, I thought to myself. Too much of a coward.

I knew that there was a bomb. I knew that Toby had opened the door - taken the slam almost directly to the chest. Happy was closest, but angled so she was pushed through a rotting railing and onto grass. Safe. Walter and Paige had been stepping onto the first step, and the second Walter had heard the click, he'd screamed something to Cabe and shoved Paige onto the grass. I knew the shrapnel was affecting him somehow.

He'd also tried to catch Toby as he blew past him. Missed. He was probably blaming himself.

All Cabe had gotten was the sound. And the heat. And watching the confusion and calling 911. Sometimes, even when you rank higher than 911, they're still all you can call.

Happy was somewhere else in the hospital. Cabe was with her - I'd gotten only this explanation before he'd gotten the call that she was awake and dashed off.

Now I'd be walking right into Toby, Walter, and Paige, all of whom were probably traumatized.

That's the door, I recognized dimly, and turned to look at it. There was a small window in the door, and I could make out a cot and a few chairs angled around it.

I pushed on the door. Nothing happened.

This is a pull door, are you -

I sighed inwardly at myself and pulled the door open.

"Hey." Paige looked up at me. There were scrapes down one side of her face, and she was cradling her left arm. Probably the impact just jarred her.

"Hello, Paige," I greeted, and anxiously reached for the chair on the opposite side of the cot from her and Walter.

Walter. He turned to look at me, and at first all I could do was blink.