21. Don't Worry, I'll Fix Everything

"I think I have a gift."

A frown crosses Angel's face, an expression I hadn't seen on him before. "A what?"

"Gift." I repeat nervously, clenching the hem of the loose shirt I'm wearing. It's been a week since Zero found Angel and I hiding outside, and we haven't been let out since. "I think I have one."

"Do you know how dangerous it is to be saying that?" Angel whispers, his eyes glancing around despite the fact we were alone in the meeting room. Afternoon sunlight was pouring in from the many windows across the wall, warming my back.

I nod, looking down. "I know, but I think I have one. I don't know what to do, Angel. It's worrying me."

"Why?"

I frown to myself, glancing out of the windows. The walkway where I had seen Angel's family first arriving was empty, and looked oddly cold from this position in the sunlight.

For the last week, ever since that sound explosion, I've felt like there was something filling up my chest. It wasn't the way food filled your stomach, and it wasn't the way air filled your lungs. I felt like I was a power par that was slowly being recharged.

It was starting to hurt.

"It just is." I finally answer, tucking my legs beneath me as I reach up to touch the mark on my shoulder. "But this is hurting a lot more often."

Angel gives me a pitying look, his lower lip jutting out in a pout. It was times like these when I simply couldn't figure out what was going on in that head of his.

"Do you miss him? Shiloh, I mean."

"I'd rather not think about it." I mumble, burying my head in my knees. It was painful just to think about his name, let alone about him himself. Whenever he did cross my thoughts - which I found was happening more frequently every day - the mark on my shoulder began to burn.

It was an unpleasant feeling.

"Don't tell anyone what I told you." I say finally, lifting my head to look at Angel with pleading eyes. "Please, Angel."

He knew I wasn't talking about my mark hurting.

Nodding his head, he reaches over to hold my hand gently. "I won't. But we have to figure it out, okay?"

I nod. "I think I have one though." I say. "I'm fairly sure I do..."

"Has someone told you that before?" Angel catches on, looking at me puzzled.

"Sort of." I tell him. "But I trust him in saying that. With what happened at the meeting before... I kind of think I did that."

Angel frowns, gripping his chin thoughtfully. "What exactly happened?"

"I don't really know. I got angry, and then something happened." I tell him. "Then I don't remember anything until I woke up."

Angel nods. "It was kind of like the air was being sucked out of the room, but I could still breathe."

"Like the sound was being evaporated?"

His eyes light up. "Yeah, that's exactly what happened! Do you think you can manipulate sound or something?"

I shrug a shoulder nervously, rubbing my arm. "Maybe. I don't know."

"It's okay. Do you think you can do it again?"

I shrug again. "I feel weird on the inside."

"Weird how?"

"Like I'm being powered up or something. I feel like there's something filling me up. It's kind of uncomfortable."