22. Changed

The forest was cold, and deathly quiet. Not even the trees rustled, despite the frigid breeze that messed with my knotty hair.  

I wrapped my arms tighter around myself. Angel had said to just keep walking straight, but I was starting to question the sanity of doing so. Despite those doubts in the back of my mind, I kept walking. I tried to forget the cold in my bare feet, and the fact that my breathing created brief clouds of mist in the freezing air.  

Why had I gone outside the palace again? 

Wiping my hand across my sweaty forehead, I try to stop my teeth from chattering. I must have had a fever of some sort, to have such a hot forehead and such a cold body. I'd never been sick like this before - I am a werewolf, after all, as strange as it is to think that.  

But why am I getting sick now? 

It was weird. I felt strange. Everything was very odd. 

I let out a deep breath, telling myself to calm down. The air in front of me became mist, telling me just how cold it was getting out here. I tried not to trip as I made my way hopefully in a straight line.  

The wind shifted, blowing towards me. It sent cold shivers down my neck.  

I barely noticed. 

Why? 

Because the wind brought something else with it. Something I've been wanting.  

My eyes widen as I forget about the cold wind and my numb feet. That scent... I'd know it anywhere! Telling myself to breath, I start running towards the scent. It gradually grows stronger, fogging my mind and muddling my thoughts.  

A branch whips at my face, a rock jabs at my feet, a spider web threatens to made its new home in my tangled curls, but I don't care. I could smell his scent getting stronger and stronger, dominating the forest in a way only an Alpha's scent will. 

I could just about feel the warmth he provides.  

"Jango." My voice was quiet, and weary, even to my own ears. I stumble forwards, slumping against a tree at the edge of a small, grassy clearing. "Jango!" 

The wind changes direction once more, briefly throwing my hair in my face. I cringe, brushing it out of the way, wondering how much it's going to hurt to get the knots out.  

He was waiting in wolf form, his shoulders hunched with tension and his eyes wild. A pile of clothes lay by his paws. Even from here I could tell he was drained of energy, looking almost sickly.  

"Jango." Again, the word came out as nothing but a whisper that got tangled up in the wind. But somehow he managed to hear it, his ears twitching at the soft sound as his eyes shot over to me. By that time I was already running towards him. 

I felt no fear towards the sight of the giant wolf anymore. 

A deep whine escapes Jango's throat as I launch myself at his chest, standing on my toes to wrap my arms around his neck and shoulders. Burying my face into the inky fur under his head, I shut my eyes tight and force myself not to cry. 

Jango lifts a heavy paw, placing it on my back as he dips his head. Another whine comes from his as he seems to pull me closer. 

I forgot how beautiful his scent was.  

Jango takes a moment to shift back, hurriedly pulling on jeans before enveloping me in his arms once more. It felt so warm against his chest, so comforting. The sound of his heart beating seemed almost too real.  

Putting his hands on my shoulders, he pushes me back in favour of peering down at my face. Those eyes, so icy and blue, were asking if I was alright; I could tell without him needing to say anything. But if the frantic beating of my heart and the relieved feeling in my chest were anything to go by, I'd say I was better than ever.