chapter six

-

"Hey, wake up."

My head. Oh my god, my fucking head.

"Um? Wake up?"

Someone shook me which caused my head to feel weightless, slushing around as if it were a milkshake.

Stop. No, stop.

"For God's sake, wake up."

I felt my left eye opening without command. With the other closed, I stared at the one trying to wake me, a bit irritated.

She scowled at me, "Get up, and go to class. You're fine."

It was the school "nurse." She was an older lady with no fucks to give whatsoever. She didn't even have a degree in anything; she dropped out of high school her junior year when all her credits were taken away for missing so much school. I only knew all this because she was known in this school only because she was such a bitch, never checking if you were actually okay. She wouldn't even give you a pass or call the teachers as to why you weren't in class, and the school administers did nothing because they forgot about her. They never did checkups on her to see if she was doing her job.

Fucking idiots.

"Hey!"

I opened my other eye, slowly, staring back at her.

"Hello."

My voice was scratchy, and it stung to say that simple phrase.

"Good, you're awake. Now, leave, Supernatural is streaming in five, and no way am I missing it for your sorry ass," she said, standing up from her rolling chair.

"Shh," I shushed her, closing my one open eye.

I could still feel her hovering over me, but barely a second passed, and suddenly I heard the clanking of cords and ripping of them pulled from the power sockets.

This time, both of my eyes opened and my head turned to look at the nurse wondering what the hell she was doing.

"Fine. I'll just watch it in the teacher lounge. Get to class soon," she huffed, hugging her laptop with all its cords close to her chest as she exited the small office.

With relief, I closed my eyes once again and snuggled further into the blanket over me.

Sleep is all I need right now.

I turned, twisted around the blanket for what seemed like hours, but nothing felt right. Absolutely nothing. Was it the temperature of the room that felt so suffocating the need for a blanket was pointless? Or maybe the ticking of the clock that was going off like a bomb irritating the fuck out of me? Perhaps it was even the tickling feeling of what felt like small ants crawling around in my brain, and not just one, thousands upon thousands. I didn't know, but I just wanted it to stop.

Are the walls closing in on me?

The ants ran faster, none in an orderly fashion, only in clattered groups running frantically, occasionally bumping into another. My eyes were wide, showing no signs of sleep soon.

The walls, oh god, the fucking walls-

The door flew open, but the person to shove it open was careful to keep it from hitting the wall, quickly shutting it close again. In this second, the ants in my brain froze, slowly vanishing.

He stood against the door, panting some, staring at the wall right in front of him. His body language screamed afraid and almost unsure about anything that just happened. My eyes stayed trained on him, wider than before, but for a different reason.