Chapter Twelve: Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

Song(s): Dead On Arrival by Fall Out Boy

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

Tossing and turning, I finally settled face-up on the hospital bed's rigid spring mattress. The sheets were all well retracted from their rightful corners and instead snaked and wrapped around my frame. The clatter of window blinds itched at my ears as the sun's warm rays began casting red blotches through my closed eyelids. I groaned and blindly groped for a pillow to bring over my head and shield my face. 

"Morning, sunshine!" Valentino's voice bubbled.

"Five more minutes.." I grumbled, succeeding in burying my head in the comfort of a newly-found pillow.

"Aw, c'mon. I got you breakfast in bed," he sung, his voice rising a couple octaves as he stressed the word 'bed'.

"I'm not hungry. Now, leave," I shot back, the sharpness of my tone muffled.

"Not until you eat."

"I don't want any!"

"Just a bite?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"No."

"Even with rainbow sprinkles, brownie chunks, and a chocolate-dipped strawberry on top?"

I bolted straight up, my eyes widening as I took in the close proximity between us. Valentino had his palm pressed to the wall right above the bedpost, leaning cooly over me. My eyes were forced to stare at his lips before they trailed up his pale, sculpted facial features into his lush, golden eyes. They bored back at mine with an undeniable intensity.

I felt my cheeks warm involuntarily, and I flailed, causing me to loose my balance. I clasped onto the sheets snaked around my waist as a last resort and clung on for dear life. A breathless yelp escaped my lips as my weight shifted over the edge of the bed, the distance from the raised mattress to the floor seemingly lengthening ten fold.

I shut my eyes, waiting impatiently for the acute pain to claw its way up my spine but just as before, it never arrived. Instead, a swift breeze brushed through my tangled hair before I felt a hand place itself firmly at the small of my back. 

I winced, daringly squinting my eyes open; the sun's meager rays casting rainbows as they shone through the window and onto Valentino's face. The red strands of his messy fringe looked even more fiery than ever and his usual gold eyes instead glowed in an indescribable array of various hues.

I was frozen, completely mesmerized. I mentally slapped myself, and magically regained the ability to make my lips form words.

"How did you..-"

"Know your favorite ice cream topping?" he finished, grinning.

I nodded stupidly, again losing my physical capability to form words.

"We've been through this already," he breathed, continuing, "Telepathy."

If I could've face-palm myself at that exact moment, I would've; if only I weren't in such an uncomfortable position, dangling over the edge of the bed with this outrageously handsome devil holding me up entirely with a single hand, and with such little effort might I add. It was like we had just finished dancing the tango; the only thing missing would be a rose caught between his teeth.

In the midst of my absolute stupefied trance, a nearly inaudible knock pulsated from the door. 

"Knock, knock, I'm coming in," Clyde's agitated voice bellowed.