Chapter 2 ❇

~Hannah's P.O.V.~

I sit in the way back of the van, on Liam's lap this time, with my arms crossed. He is in a window seat so I lean against the glass and stare out the window while Liam socializes with the other boys. He had tried to hug me earlier, but there is no way I trust any of these boys. Trust isn't taken, it's earned. The cold glass chills the left side of my forehead and I breath in heavily when Liam shifts in his seat. Zayn is also in the back, Harry's in the middle with Niall, Louis is driving and 'Paul' took shotgun.

This is ridiculous. Sitting on a grown man's lap. I am 14, not 4. I can take care of myself. I could live on my own. Why do I have to be here? Why did they have to pick me? I should be thankful, but it just puts more problems on my shoulders. 

We are on the way to furniture stores and other shops for decorations. I honestly feel like the boys are more thrilled than I am. I close my eyes and rub my face. I lick my chapped lips and watch a particular car pass by. Then a tree whisk off behind the vehicle. I soon concentrated on the puffy yet dark clouds above, praying it won't rain.

Louis slams on the brakes and I jolt forward a bit as Liam holds me back. I shake my head and ignore him as soon as he lets go.

"Sorry!" Louis apologizes.

I stumble to the van door where Harry is waiting with outstretched arms. I ignore him and jump down next to him, declining his help. He scratches the back of his neck and Liam climbs out as well. Paul ushers us into the nearest store, eyes darting around the parking lot worriedly. We push open the doors and the odor of furniture polish swarms around me, making me scrunch my nose.

After we are in, we all stop and look around at the hanging rugs, various sections of different furniture and banners that line the perimeter of the inside. I break away from the crowd and lead myself towards the chairs. The boys take pursuit as Paul types something on his very-expensive-looking phone.

I trace the seam of a leather couch before strolling over to a plush green bean bag. I caress the soft texture and fist it between my fingers. I unclench my hand and kick it softly with my foot. I look up at the boys with my eyes darting back and forth from their faces.

"Do you want this?" Zayn asks. I stare at him before he calls over a worker.

"The moving truck will be here in 20 minutes or so. Then we can begin loading up." Paul says, joining us. He looks down and pinches the bridge of his nose with a deep sigh. 

"Come on, Hannah. Let's look over at the dressers," Harry says, touching my upper arm with his fingertips. I flinch away and he walks ahead, leading me to the dressers. Paul seemed to be scolding the other boys as we walk away. When we get to the isle, I run my fingers over each top of the dressers, pondering over which one I like.

*****

About an hour or so later, I had a smaller moving truck filled with new furniture. Since it was late afternoon, and Niall was complaining, we decide to get something to eat. Many suggestions are thrown around, but in the end, everyone agrees on McDonald's. When we get to the 'restaurant,' I take caution climbing the pavement slope near the front door. Each boy has a hood pulled over as the wind whips around my long hair. I fist my hair, trying to tame it momentarily. I release it when we get inside and the stench of grease immediately invades my nose.

I have never really been around the town in years, so I'm not too familiar with McDonald's. Niall tries to grasp my hand in his, but I snatch it away and glare up at him as he sighs. I cross my arms and walk through the door that Paul is holding open. When we get to the front counter, it's not too busy  here so we are second in line. Niall bends down slightly to reach my ear, but gawking at the menu at the same time.