four |

I followed Vree through the mothership. He walked in front, with his back to me the entire time, never sparing me a glance to see if I had still caught up. We went into a glass, tube like elevator that lifted us a couple floors up. Once we got out, I followed him through the bright white corridors.

These hallways were bigger, and seemed to loop around the edges of a circle. On the left side of the hallways, every now and then there were archways that revealed a grand dining hall of some sort. It looked like it was supposed to mimic the outdoors, with a large tree in the middle and glass dome ceilings viewing the galaxy. There were picnic benches, except instead of traditional wood they were half metallic and glass with blinking lights. The floors were gray slabs of metal, with large patches of grass here and there, under the tables. There were tiny screen monitors at arms length and eye level on the walls with slots beneath them. I watched as one Frivrok dabbled on the monitor. He pressed buttons, then within a second food came out the slot below.

The more I followed Vree, the more I noticed other Frivroks and their "Earth women". A couple to the side of me were walking side by side. The Frivrok had stooped his head down to listen to what the girl was saying. She was crying, and her voice was shaking, and he stopped them in their path and took her hands, looking into her eyes and saying something comforting. He looked so concerned for her, and ready to comfort her, despite just meeting.

I looked at Vree, positive that that sort of affection wouldn't be reserved for me despite what all the other Frivrok men seemed to be doing.

Eventually we took a turn and the hallways became more empty and narrow. As we walked, I stopped for a moment, my lips parting slightly and my breath getting stuck in my throat. A wide, vast window revealed the outside of the spacecraft. The stars seemed to stretch out for ages. I tried to look past all of them- wondering if I looked hard enough I'd be able to find someone else- something else.

Vree's rough voice interrupted my moment, "You will have multiple opportunities to look at it, and you will eventually get tired." His voice was somewhat irritated, as if urging me to hurry along.

I looked at him, my face still in awe and my voice wondrous, "How could you ever get tired of looking at the stars?"

In the midst of my question he seemed to have done something close to an eye roll as he turned around and began briskly walking off.

Narrowing my eyes and huffing, I followed him.

Eventually, he lead me to a door out of many in this hallway. The door was marked in the Frivrok language. The door itself seemed to be made out of glass, but it wasn't transparent. The inside looked clouded, and I couldn't make out distinct shapes, figures, or colors. Vree placed his hand on the door, and it glowed green then slid open.

I expected a tiny white room with a built in bunk bed, a one seater table, and a tiny chair facing a tiny circular window like in ships or stereotypical SciFi movies.

However, when he stepped inside and nonchalantly waved his hand over a sensor on the wall, all the lights turned on and revealed something more surprising, with a layout close to home.

The floors were a dark wood, there was a sunken living room with a white couch. Across from that was a fireplace with gray stone, and above the fireplace was a thin slab of metal the size of a pencil. By the blinking light, it looked something like a smaller version of what holograms were projected from.

The wall on the side with the TV and fireplace were light gray stone. From the top, water seemed to flow down like a waterfall, and disappear into the edges of the floors like magic. It was quiet and entirely relaxing, but the rest of the walls were white with no fancy waterfalls. The kitchen was to the left of the living room, and the counters and drawers were a sleek black. The countertops were white marble, and the floor there changed to a glass like white. The kitchen was open concept, with an island counter and barstools made out of wood.