eighteen |

My eyebrows knitted together and I frowned, "Will you listen to me you big idiot. I- Why are you- Why do you look-" I was trying to both express what I wanted but also compute what it was I'd seen.

He pulled his arm away from my grip and covered his mouth, averting his eyes.

Why would Vree be hurt by what I said?

"I don't understand what's going on." I sighed finally.

He swallowed, and looking away from me said, "I do not either."

It was much quieter out in the metallic slate halls than inside the grandiose room we were just in. The floor to ceiling windows leading out to the vast expanse of space made everything seem quiet and calm.

We always came back to places like this. We always talked in places like this, places where the stars were before us and the space between us seemed just as infinite.

"You left before I got to finish." I commented, fanning myself and adjusting my dress from the running.

"I do not know if I want to hear what else you have to say." He still wasn't looking at me.

I didn't know wether to feel hurt, or feel bad. What was he expecting me to say? Did he not want to hear how I felt? Did he know that I wanted him to somehow love me after all this time? And that he did not want to hear it because he did not want to deal with rejecting me? Or was it something else? Was he upset because he thought I was done with him?

I don't know which option hurt me more.

"I don't know if I want to hear what you have to say in response to what I have to say." I crossed my arms, still holding another fruit in my hand.

He glanced at the fruit, then averted his gaze. "Then let's talk. Come."

He turned his back to me, and we walked in silence down a few stretch of hallways, turning into a corridor that seemed less traveled by.

There, Vree sat at one end of the large floor to cieling windows, and I at the other end. We faced each other and he stretched his legs out in front of himself, the corridor was cramped enough that if I did the same, our feet would be almost touching.

He crossed his arms and studied me with a fixed gazed, keeping his face expressionless. I tried to do the same.

"You may finish what you wanted to say." He said finally.

I scratched at my neck nervously, and for some sort of consolation, looked out into the vast expanses of space.

With a shaky sigh, I began. "What I meant by not wanting to be your roommate was, well. I-" I paused, bit my lip, then continued. "It's not that I don't want to live with you. I do. I was just somehow disappointed." Then I added quickly, "I was disappointed because I was expecting you to say something else. You're willing to try to be my friend, and work with me, but for me when it finally comes down to what I'm supposed to do for your people, I wanted more. I wouldn't mind. If it were with you- starting a family and." I sighed, hoping he was understanding where I was going without having to outright say it.

 He stared at me, his entire being motionless.  "I do not understand."

I groaned, "If I have to make babies. Then. It's fine if I do it with you. Because I know you. . ." My voice trailed off. I met his eyes, my face feeling extremely hot.

He blinked slowly, "Well, that is our responsibility. Do you wish to make children, then not live with me?"

I rolled my eyes, "No."