seventeen |

After our little talk, Vree weaved us through the swarm of mingling people, over to lines and lines of banquet tables. There were Frivrok men and their matches constantly refilling their plates. There were tiny metallic orbs floating around the entire room, somehow levitating food and drink. These robots were refilling the banquet tables.

There were assortment of bright pink and blue colored fruits, things that looked like sandwich wraps, an assortment of drinks in clear cylinders, stacks upon stacks of differently shaped sweets and appetizers. 

If I weren't so disappointed I would've drooled at the sight. Instead, I was stuck in an internal battle with myself. I couldn't believe I actually felt disappointed that Vree didn't confess any undying love for me. Even though I overall got what I wanted, which was not being treated like a thing he could just throw away, I felt ultimately unsatisfied. 

It was as if my subconscious was laughing at me, telling me that all along I didn't care for a place to live, but for someone to live with. Someone to love. This whole situation was weird, yes, and I my understanding was that despite the weirdness, I'd get out of this with an alien husband. Of sorts. 

I contemplated what could've gotten me this far. I mused that it probably had something to do with Solhelk telling me how great I am, and the whole idea of a "perfect match", and Julie and Grivak constantly pushing me to try very hard at winning his heart, not a place to live.

Because if I were honest with myself, I could've just talked to someone-- anyone, Solhelk would've listened. I could've asked for my own sanctuary, I could've asked for someone else. I am the "mouth of the people" so that should've meant something. But it had to be him. It had to be Vree.

 And once again, I was disappointed that Vree was as unfeeling as usual. 

We stood in front of a table, and he handed me a plate to which I took. He began piling my plate with food, explaining wether it was a fruit or vegetable, or bread, the herbs and spices of our planet, and tried to meticulously explain the tastes in comparisons to food on Earth.

But the entire time I was zoned out. Halfway through he noticed I wasn't as responsive as usual, so he just dropped talking all together. 

Finally we found someplace to sit on the grass, near a wall with high windows to the space outside. We sat away from most everyone, looking at the event taken place before us.

Maybe I was being selfish. I wanted to care about the music and food and culture and enjoy myself, but I was letting myself indulge in my own sadness. That, and I hadn't touched the food, which was probably making things worse, considering Vree was so offended last time when he thought I was not interested in his people or culture. 

With a glance to him, I saw that he too was not eating. The plate of food was settled between us. He had his knees up, his elbows rested, and his chin resting in the crook of his thumbs. His brow was furrowed. He looked immensely angry, but that was probably his thinking face. 

I glanced back to my food, and decided to pick at it. I went for the thing that looked closest to a burrito and tried a bite, alarmed to find out it was sweet, and put it back, picking around at more things on my plate. I silently scolded myself for not listening to a word he had said to me. 

There were what I assumed to be fruit, similarly shaped to orange slices, except blue and fuzzy like a kiwi. I tentatively picked it up, and bit down. I was alarmed at first, that they tasted like sour patch kids, but I didn't complain. I finished the entire fruit, then wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

In attempt to make things less tense, I said, "I like this one." I held up another one of the same fruit, and worked my way on eating the second one. He studied me, and I popped another slice into my mouth. "Tastes like sour patch kids." I mumbled, more expressionless than usual.