2. Saved

© Kelly Faulk 2013

Chapter 2:  Saved

This was the first time I ever skipped school.  Wica would be extremely mad at me; she thought that I should at least go to school if I wasn’t going to do any homework or papers, and she was going to be especially mad at why I was missing school.  Storming off campus, I went out to the local woods, let my true form show, and took off into the air.  Up in the clouds, I flew even faster.

Up in the clouds, there was a Roman styled chamber that couldn’t be seen by humans until they were inside.  It used the same kind of magic that enabled us to hide our wings, so we didn’t need to worry about planes flying into it.  The chamber was our meeting place, somewhere I rarely visited.  Going there was the only way I could figure out where everyone was, though.  I needed to find Danny and force him do my dirty work.

Amy was there when I arrived, coming out from the Rose Room;  why, I had no idea, and I could have cared less as to why she was skipping school as well.  Other than Alex, she was the youngest on the Court.  I stormed over to her, looming over her as she cowered at my angry expression.  “Amy, I need you to go find Danny for me.  Now.”  I didn’t feel like using the normal means of summoning, and she was here; I didn’t have to search for him myself.

She didn’t look at me as she nodded and disappeared into thin air, her way of departing since she was of the Air.

As I waited for Danny to arrive, I paced around the circular room.  To help release my anger, I would occasionally punch the wall, breaking my hand countless times in many places.  I also never Healed the breaks, making them worse every time I hit the wall.  This building was hundreds of years old, and I destroyed it with my blood.

Danny finally arrived at sunset.  His black hood was up, concealing his face, scythe that took away souls strapped to his back.  It was extremely dangerous to see a Death’s face; it meant you were dying.  “You summoned me?” he asked in a raspy voice.

“I need you to take care of someone.”  I told him as I Healed my bleeding hand.

“Why can’t you do it?  O grateful Leader?”

He was being a smart ass, and I wasn’t going to let it slide past me.  Getting up in his face, making him flinch, I growled, “I can’t be seen near him when his timely death occurs.  They’ll think it was me, and if I’m put in jail, I can’t fulfill my mother’s prophecy.”

They all knew that if I spoke of Ryna that way, there’d be hell to pay if they didn’t obey my wishes.  “Who is it?” he finally asked.

“His name’s Mark Logani.  He’s a football player.  Goes to East Glynn.  I want him gone by tomorrow.  Oh, and make sure that Tríka Thompson isn’t around when you kill him.”  I’d probably have to kill him if he hurt her.

“Fine.”  He disappeared into the darkness, leaving me alone once again.

After a moment I sat down in my chair, one of many that lined the walls, and rested my head in my hands.  If Tríka ever found out about this…. Now, I felt guilty about the hit.  But he had harmed her, made her bleed.  If he had just given her a bruise, I probably still would have ordered Danny to kill him.  Why did I feel this way?

When I stopped the bleeding in my hand, I returned home.  But then, Wica would ask why I didn’t have a victim tonight.  To avoid her, I snuck into my room through the window, which was really awkward.  I’ve never done this before.

As soon as I was inside, I locked my door; I didn’t want Wica to bother me.  I was calmer now than I was at noon and wanted to go to sleep, but thoughts about the events that were unfolding kept me awake.  Danny was killing that bastard.  He was her boyfriend, and she’ll be in a lot of pain tomorrow.