6. Experience

© Kelly Faulk 2013

Chapter 6:  Experience

“What in the hell did you do to me, Ryne!” she cried, more tears streaming down her cheeks.

It broke my heart to see her like this.  “I turned you into a different species, like me.”

“Why would you do that?  Without asking me?”

“Because I love you.  Because the prophecy said I was to turn you.”

She continued to cry.  All I could do was stand there.

“Why, Ryne?  Why?” she asked again.

Hesitantly, I made my way over to her, and took her into my arms.  She fought for a moment, but then tightened her grip on me as she cried into my chest.  “I’m sorry, Tríka.  But I had to Change you against your will.  I couldn’t tell you about the Rage, either.  This was the only way.  But you’re still the exact same person you were a couple days ago.  You just now have wings and the ability to fly.  And your hair and eyes look different, and you can grow and retract your hair all over your body.  But you’re still the same person, Tríka.  Only instead of being human, you’re now a Rage.”

She was quiet for a few minutes, still crying onto my bare chest.  Then, she nearly whispered, “What’s a Rage?  Some kind of demon?”

I sighed.  “We are not angels, or demons.  We’re just simply the Rage.  There are also many different types, though I don't know what you are.”

“Types?”

“There are Fire, Ice, Water, Earth, Healing, Light, Darkness, Venus and Adonis, Hate, Air, Law, Time, Death, and you.”

“W-What are you?”

She was accepting this so easily now, thankfully.  “I’m a Healer,” I explained as I let go of her so I could wash my hands.  “I’ve been Healing you almost nonstop for the past two days.  I didn’t want you to feel the pain of growing your apparently invisible wings.  Do you feel any pain?”

“N-No.”  She teared up again.

“What’s wrong?”

“I-I thought you were going to give me s-something e-else for Christmas!  Not this!”

I dried my hands off and hugged her again.  “Tríka, I did promise you that it would be safe for us to be together now, and it is.  I’m sorry I deceived you like this, but it’s against my law to let humans know about the Rage.”

“Y-Your law?”

“I’m the Leader of the Rage.  They all have to obey my commands no matter what.”

She was quiet for a few more minutes, wiping away her tears.  “Are Wica and Andrew—?”

“Yes.  Wica and Will are of Water, and Andrew’s Air.  Someone else that you know is a Rage.”

“W-Who?”

“Nuke.  He’s a Rabbia di ghiaccio.”

“Ice Rage?”

I nodded.  “That’s why his hair is white and his eyes are very light blue.”

I wiped away more of her tears as she took in everything.  “I wish you would have told me before,” she finally whispered.

I held her tighter.  “I’m sorry, Tríka.  I truly am.”  I even wrapped my wings around us.  “Please forgive me?”

“You said it was safe, right?”