3. Summer

© Kelly Faulk 2013

Chapter 3:  Summer

I was right.  I would have to Change Tríka.  And she was to suffer from it.  But how?

“Ryne?”

I snapped back to reality.  “Thanks, Wica.  Talk to you later.”  I hung up, and paced around the living room.

I was to Change Tríka.  She was to suffer.  Suffer from what?  The pain of the Change?  The events following?  What kind would she be?  It was possible that she could become my opposite; I was the only Healer on the Royal Court, so I wouldn’t have to get rid of anyone.

When Sera had changed the rules, she let countless of us be made.  She also created the Royal Court.  The Leader got to pick who was in the Court, and there were always two of each kind on the Court.  I picked ones around my age, but also a few older, experienced ones.  The youngest was one; the Venus Valerie had a son, and I let him in the Court.  I also allowed my only family in.  Wica, Will, and Andrew.

When I eventually looked away from the floor, I saw what time it was.  If Tríka wasn’t up already, she would be soon.  I looked around the kitchen for something not expired, and didn’t have any luck.  The cabinets and fridge were bare.  I guess we’d be going into town to eat.  So, I made my way back upstairs to let her know.

When I opened the door, I found her sitting up on the bed, stretching.  “Good morning,” I said as I crossed the room to stand in front of her.

“Morning,” she yawned after I gave her a kiss.  “What’s for breakfast?”

“Well, there’s nothing in the kitchen, so whatever you order at a restaurant.”

“Oh.”

I grabbed some clothes from my dresser, and went to the bathroom.  I desperately needed to wash my wings, but Tríka needed hot water, too.  After I showered and dressed, I exited so she could have her privacy.  Then, I went back in several minutes later to put my stars in place.  Yet again, I didn’t straighten my hair.

When I finished, I looked through Uriel’s collection of books to pass the time since Tríka was still in the shower.  A couple of the books were unnamed, so I assumed they were his medical diaries.  I only had enough time to just glance through them.  The only part I actually read was when Neveah was born.

Apparently, Sera had nearly died from hemorrhaging and very high blood pressure.  But, Uriel fought to Heal her and for the right to care for their newborn.  He had learned how to do so many things just from that experience.

After I heard the hair dryer cut on, I put the books away.  I’d read up on how to Change people later.

Tríka and I were silent as we climbed down the mountain.  Her car was still parked at the base, so we drove it into the small town about fifteen minutes away.  We stopped at the first restaurant we saw, and quietly ate our breakfast when it arrived.  I was thinking about when I should Change her, and my silence probably kept her from talking.  Her expression seemed sad, so I put away my thoughts for my concern for her.  “How’d you sleep?”

She slightly jumped at the sound of my voice.  “Fine.  I didn’t know you were gone until I woke up.”

I softly laughed.  “I didn’t want Wica to send out a search party, so I called her.”

“I should probably call my parents.  But I’ll wait until we get back to the house.”

After I paid the bill, we left to go to the closest grocery store to get some food.  I told Tríka to get whatever she wanted, and to not worry about how much it cost.  I didn’t let her know that I had several bank accounts that gained interest every day.  But there was no need for her to know about them just yet.