September 3rd

It was the first day of school and Mr.Matthews was their history teacher again so the seat remained empty. She couldn't say it was strange to be in school without Maya because she had gone months but it still did not feel right. Almost 9 months. After school Riley and Lucas went to the park and sat on the swings, leaving Mayas empty.
"Lucas?"
"Ya."
"I feel like everything just kinda stopped between us." He nodded. "I don't know if she's coming back but what if she doesn't and we never found out if we had actually had chance as like a couple."
"Maya and I weren't dating or anything."
"Ya, but I feel like you're waiting for her to come back to move on."
"I don't wanna move on."
"You still like her?"
"I didn't think but I guess. I really don't wanna move on though."
"If she comes back you need to tell her that."
"But what about you."
"I moved on, I promise."
"And if she doesn't come back?"
"Thats a question that no one ever knows how to answer." They were silent for a little while. Then Riley spoke.
"Hey, you know what she always did when she was here?"
"Ya, she would jump off of the swing and if she fell she laughed and if she landed than she tried going higher."
"Every Time. Its actually really fun."
The pushed back and swung three times and than jumped. She landed but then fell forwards, face planting.
"Riley, are you okay?" She sat up. "Ya, I'm fine. Its kinda hard not to laugh at yourself. I know I didn't go that high but to me is dangerous and without Maya I don't have any of that side of me so I use this but it'll always remind me of her."
Lucas pushed of the ground, swung, jumped, and landed.
"Wasn't good enough for her." He sat back down and went as high as he could, jumping of and this time falling.
"She would be proud." They laughed and stood up to walk home.