June 23rd

It was the last day of school for the year and the seat was still empty. Farkle was in the school library before school. He looked through the geography section, reading the spines of the books. Then be saw it. It was the book she had been reading before she left. The cover had a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge on it. He opened it. The first page was a picture of Boston apartments, another picture of the Zakim bridge. He remembered one day when he saw Maya sitting on a bench outside the school on a cool fall day. The book open was in her hands and her head down reading. Her legs kicked beneath her, reminding him of an innocent child. She was wearing a beanie on her head and here hair was very wavy because she had left it in a braid the night before. He sat down next to her.
"What are you reading about?"
"The Zakim bridge in Boston. Look." She said, flipping back to the picture of the bridge lit blue at night and the lights on the many cars, and turning it towards him.
"It's a memorial bridge. It was named after a religion and civil rights leader." She sounded like a child, so excited about learning.
"Pretty." He said looking at the picture.
He had never heard of the bridge. "What else is in this book?" He asked. She turned the book so she could find another page. Once she did, she turned it back to him. On it was a picture of Jacksons square in New Orleans.
"It's was a former military plaza. I'm sure you probably know all about the history of it."
"I know about the battle of New Orleans. You do too."
"Not really."
"I know you were listening in class. You know about it." There was a pause. "So, what else?" Maya turned to a picture of the a street in San Fransisco.
"I love to look at the houses there."
"Why's that."
"I'm not really sure. I just like them."
"That happens." Her phone buzzed. "Well, I've got to go." She said. "See you tomorrow.
Now, Farkle found himself on that page. Maybe she was in one of those places. Then again, she liked so many places. He turned the page to find a page full of information. There was a page for every picture. He wondered if Maya had read them. It seemed like it because she knew a little bit about each place and sometimes mentioned little things about others. The bell rang and he closed the book and put it on the bookshelf, taking one last look at it. She was somewhere that was in that book. It gave him comfort, though he would never be able to find her like that. He missed his friend so much. She brought mystery to his life. He could never figure her out. This was the biggest mystery of her yet. He admitted that it might have been a little selfish of her to just leave like that but there has to be a reason. Maybe threats or fear or injury. Whatever it was, he just wanted her back.