December 19th

It was Mayas first day back at school. She wasn't behind because she was still in school in Boston.
She tried to hide her limp she walked into the school next to Riley. At least she had six hours of an excuse to get away from George, her moms boyfriend. She was cold and tired. She had spent the rest of the weekends at home in constant fear or pain.
Many kids ran up to Maya as she entered. She ignored the people who had ignored her before she ran away. Once she got to her locker, she saw the school phycologist walking to her.
"Hi, Maya. I wanna speak to you during your study hall." She said handing her a pass. "See you then." She walked away.
"Ugh!" She said, shutting her locker.
"What is it."
"I hate it!"
"What? What do you hate."
"I just lost all ability to make one- a single decision for myself."
"Thats not what it means."
"Yes it does!" The bell rang. The first class was history. The seat finally wasn't empty though the girl in in it looked empty. She looked that way yet she was full of so many secrets. Cory began his lesson and the class went on. When the bell rang Maya got up and started for walk out the door. Suddenly she felt someone grab her arm.
"Ow!" She said wincing and turning around.
"Sorry, sorry. Were you hurt?" Asked Lucas. Maya shook her head and tried to step away but this time he grabbed her hand and yanked her sleeve up exposing her blue and black skin. Maya pulled her sleeve down and her arm away.
"What the f***, Lucas."
"Maya, three detentions, you watch your language in my class." Said Cory. Maya just walked out.
-----
"Hi Maya please sit down." She didn't
"Is this gonna be a normal thing?"
"Well I'm not sure but Mr.Matthews said that you acted out in class today.
"It was after class and I was in pain."
"From what?"
"I slipped on the the other day, It was a bruise."
"May I see it?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"It's cold."
"Maya."
"I said 'no.'"
"You're not telling me why. Is there something you're hiding under your sleeve. Something you may have put there yourself."
"I don't do that."
"Then you won't mind showing me your bruise." She ripped up her sleeve. "There! Are you happy?"
"You got this from falling?" She pulled it back down.
"Ya."
"Will you please sit." She sat but only on the edge of the seat.
"How's your family?"
"I have a mother and a grandmother."
"What about your father?"
"He left, how is this helping?"
"How old were you."
"How is this helping?"
"Maya, you need to relax."
"What I need to do is get my homework done in my study hall."
"I've seen your grades."
"And?"
"You don't do your homework."
"Did you look at the ones from Boston?"
"No, why?"
"Nothing below a b- and no homework missed." She looked something up on the computer. It was true, she did much better. Cory entered and stood in the the threshold because this was his free period. Maya didn't notice.
"You could have been at an easier school."
"Why? Why can't I get good grades. Oh right, because I'm too dumb. I would have to be in an easy class because normal classes are just way to much for me."
She stood up and walked out, not looking at Cory.
"She's a tough one."
"She's smarter than she seems." Said Cory. "It was an act. Maybe it wasn't smart for her to run away but she did survive all on her own."
"I'm gonna need to see her more often."
"I think she should be talking to someone else." He left the room.