Chapter 4: Skjor Wolfbane.

I’ve never been intimidated so much by someone’s height in my entire life. He was towering over me like a castle and I felt the need to wriggle my way up against a tree. Because sitting with your back up against a tree is obviously a brilliant defensive position. “A little bit clumsy, aren’t you? Good thing I have a built in pillow, otherwise that could’ve hurt you a bit!” He began laughing heartedly to himself before blinking with the realisation that he may have stunned and scared me a little bit. Maybe the look on my terrified face gave it away. And with that he raised his head and stepped back; the Wolf did the same, following his movements closely and ceasing his growling. “I’m sorry if I frightened you,” He placed his left hand carefully on the back of his head. “I’m Skjor. Skjor Wolfbane.” He said with a smile as he reached out his hand from underneath his long poncho-overcoat, and in doing so, revealed his previously hidden stash of mountain equipment.

There was loads of reels of rope, grappling gear and many other tools of the trade strapped around his waist. My eyes widened. I can’t believe I’d only just noticed the huge black Bow and Case of arrows hung over his right arm and trailing down his back. Was he some kind of hunter? Or was he a Mage? He soon noticed that I’d taken an interest in gazing at his tools and he didn’t hesitate to explain and open himself up like a book; showing how confident he was. Maybe a little bit too confident. “Oh those?” He beamed. “Well, I travel around a lot. So I need to keep some gear with me at all times just in case my partner here ever needs a hand.” He glanced down to the Wolf, and he barked back happily, wagging his tail behind him. “Maybe this guy isn’t so scary..” Mia retracted her claws from my shirt, whispering in my ear. The Wolf quickly raised his head to look at us upon hearing her voice. “But I still don’t like the Wolf very much…” She spoke after retreating her head back slightly behind mine. I nodded in response to Mia’s statement.

Skjor stood there and flopped his arm a little, to make it out that it was getting tired and I was taking my time. “Oh, sorry..” I murmured and shook his hand before crawling back up onto my feet and introducing us. “I’m Natalie. You can call me Nat for short.” I smiled. “And this is my partner; Mia.” I said, pointing my hand in her direction on top of my shoulder. “Hi!” She chirped happily. “Hey.“ Skjor smiled and greeted her back with a small wave. “I don’t suppose you two were heading to Fairy Tail were you?” He questioned. My face suddenly lit up and I got really excited. Mia must have felt the same way as I felt her wiggling around atop my shoulder and occasionally begin purr. He laughed his loud hearty laugh again. “So you were, were you? I’d watch your step then, because it’s currently chaos down there so your very likely to end up in a brawl or a drinking contest!” He said, still laughing. “I just came from there myself, so just be careful kid.” He said in a kind voice before placing his hand on my left shoulder and walking past us, his Wolf following closely behind. “See you around sometime Nat, I’m off for now!” He kept on walking and waved behind him. I quickly spun around, nearly making Mia fall off my right shoulder. “Wait a sec! You said you were at the Guild! Are you a Mage?” I yelled to him, cupping my hands around my mouth. He stopped for a second and turned his head back to face me. “Yes I am!” He boomed back. And with that, the trees began to shake from their roots, the earth seemingly broke out into a sudden quake as the rocks rolled and jumped around on the dirt path like frogs, making me tremble and my legs shake. “And there’s your clue!” He smirked before carrying on forward, and eventually disappearing out of sight into the deep forest. Just who is this guy…? I though to myself as me and Mia exchanged curious faces.