Chapter 14

There were a few hours left before we had to go when Henri came in running.

"Byron is here!" he exclaimed. We quickly got to our feet, and made our way towards the back.

"Shit." He grumbled. Henri grabbed my hand.

"Come with me. Don't let him see you in here." Henri and I slipped out. Guard members turned towards us but didn't say anything.

"What about-?" I turned to see a Guard member going into the building. Taron had left a few hours ago. I wondered if he had gotten captured.

"Let him sort it out. You and I need to get out of here." He kept his hand lightly on my arm as we walked to the waiting horses.

"You two!" I heard someone call to us. Henri cussed under his throat and I couldn't help tensing up. Henri turned around and I followed his lead.

"What is your purpose with the Shaman?" He was wearing a dark purple cloak which meant that he served Byron directly. He wasn't dressed in full armour which was rather surprising. Most of the Guard members serving the King wore full armour especially when travelling.

"Where are you headed?" he asked us, his eyes were narrowing. I could see his pupils constricting like if trying to detect a lie. I placed my hand on Henri's arm and squeezed it slightly.

"Neutral country." I responded. "We came to visit the Healers because I am ill." I responded.

"Identification." He held out his hand. His eyes didn't lift from mine. I was starting to feel self-conscious. I wondered if he could recognize me.

"Duarte" I heard the familiar voice behind Henri and I. Damn it. "Who do you have here?"

I started to become nervous that I started to question if I was wearing my contacts. Luckily, anything that could identify me such as the necklace was in my bag that I was going to take on a trip. I was also wearing traditional clothing for someone that travelled like the Druids who never settled in one place for long.

"Identifications" Duarte repeated. I pulled out my card, and Henri handed him his.

"Why am I not surprised to see you here?" Byron was standing next to me. "Jude." His voice sounded hard when he said his name.

"Why do you have your mean stopping me?" Henri snapped back at him. "My cousin and I are headed for Switzerland."

I turned to Byron. My heart was racing my chest as I met his green eyes. There was a light beard on his face which looked weird. I had rarely seen him with a shadow on his face. His eyes also looked sad and worn-out.

"Your cousin?" he lifted his eyebrows. He didn't move his eyes from mine. Oh God. He knew who I was.

"Yes, my cousin. Byron what is the problem now?" Henri snapped at him. "We have to get going. My Uncle is having me escort my cousin."

"The Ministers daughter?" Byron replied, a flicker of amusement passed through his face. He probably knew the Minister's daughter.

"No, my Uncle Brennan" Henri rolled his eyes at Byron. "Anyway we need to go, we have a long way."

"Were you with the Thief?" Byron blurted out to him. Henri's lips smirked at him.

"Wouldn't you like me to be?" Henri laughed at him. He nudged me. "Ariana, let me introduce you to his Kingship the Immortal Regent" Henri told me slowly. "King Byron. He's temporary so don't get your hopes up." I couldn't help letting out a low laugh. "This is my cousin Ariana Henri." I couldn't believe he had given me his last name as my identity.