Chapter 23

We rode in silence unsure of what to say. Ares had also gone silent.

"Are you sure?" Henri finally asked. We were on our way to the airport. "When they find out you are alive. Things are going to get crazy." I knew what he meant. When Byron found out I was alive, he was going to get pissed and probably even lose it.

"Yeah" I grimaced not liking the idea of coming back to face Byron one bit. "But it was going to happen anyway. Sooner or later."

"True, maybe that way we can have his help and he can see his grandmother for who she really is."

I nodded in agreement, silently.

We waited a few hours at the airport, and finally it was time to board the plane

"Is it weird that I'm scared of airplanes?" Henri commented as he tightened his seatbelt. "To me, they seem unnatural."

I couldn't help laughing at him. I grasped his hand so he could calm down. In many ways it was reassuring for me too.

"Nope not at all." I smiled for his benefit. He closed his eyes tightly, and concentrated on breathing. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. We hadn't slept well in weeks.

When we arrived to London, Ezra and Thomas were waiting for us in disguise. They were wearing the most awful costumes. They were outrage and funny. Ezra was wearing a white wig in a ponytail. Thomas had fixed his appearance to that of an older man. They were both wearing khakis and floral shirts.

"Why are you still gray eyed and white haired?" Thomas asked me. We didn't have any luggage on us. We had left everything behind.

"Not here." I replied glancing over my shoulder. We were too exposed and out in the open. "Things didn't go as planned." It was all that I could say. They took us to a small motel in the outskirts of London.

"The castle isn't too far from here." Ezra told us. There was some food and clothing waiting for us. Young had prepared everything.

We told them everything that had happened. They didn't say anything because they were too surprised especially when I told them about Andrea.

"Holy shit." Ezra commented. He turned to Thomas and me a few times. Young was standing by the door. He hadn't said anything. "You grew up with the Old Queen. She raised you."

"That's not the point." Thomas grumbled at him. "So you are linked to the Heir." he tapped his fingers against his thigh. "Okay, so do you have any idea where he could be?"

"Anywhere in Germany." Henri snorted in response. I nudged him.

"Germany. It has to be a small place where nobody would expect them to be."

"Not necessarily." Young spoke up. He lowered his eyes when he met my eyes. "What do you know about the Burkes?"

"Nothing. My grandmother never spoke about them. I have the feeling that when she talked about my father it was about King Aaron."

"He was raised as a Guardian too and they were all friends." I shrugged at him. "She kept mentioning Queen Brielle too."

"Yeah, Queen Brielle was actually a red-blooded Immortal." Henri answered. We all turned to him, surprised. "Oh so I found out a lot of juicy details about the family." He grinned at us. We nodded expectantly for him to continue.

"She comes from a family of Guardians." He waited for us to react but we didn't. "Her family were pure-blooded Immortals." We wrinkled our nose in response. That was gross. "Anyway her dad was disowned when he married a mortal."

"What?" Ezra laughed. Their features were now fading so they just looked funny with their wigs and clothing.

"Yeah, but because Guardians are really gifted -she was quite gifted. She even passed a Guardian Trial."

"Ooohh" we muttered under our breath.

"How do you know all of this?" Thomas looked a little skeptical.

"My dad was their Sword instructor, he worked for Dr. Nan. Anyway, King Aaron was a complete butt-hole when he was younger. He was quite a stuck- up little Prince. So after she passed one of the Guardian Trials, Brielle was asked to train for an OverSeer position in the King's Guard by Queen Andrea." My stomach rolled around at the mention of my grandmother. Or well, fake grandmother.

"Holy damn." Ezra blinked. OverSeers were a big deal. They were the elite besides the Guardians. While Guardians were named because of their birth-right, OverSeers worked for their position. Most worked for the royal family as extra security. "She was bad-ass."

"Yeah she was. Anyway she dated Charles for awhile."

"Really?" I furrowed my eyebrows. The Queen had dated Charles of all people.

"Yeah, I know hard to believe since she was named the White Queen for her kind acts and angelic face. The name that had been originally Andreas." Henri smirked. I wondered if that was why my fake grandmother hated Brielle so much. "Anyway, my dad doesn't know the whole story but years later she married King Aaron. At this point, my dad was too drunk to talk." We gave him confused looks. "I have to get him drunk so he spills the beans otherwise he doesn't gossip about the family." He shrugged with an evil smile. "He said that King Aaron and Queen Brielle became really good friends and were frequently seen together before they got married."

"They fell in love?" I suggested.

"Maybe years later but I don't know. King Aaron had been engaged to King Egerton's daughter, Cesina." His eyes widened. We all gasped at the bit of information. "That didn't go through and he ended up marrying Brielle who supposedly had become very protective of him."

"Maybe she knew something." I commented with a shrug. "Maybe they had a secret relationship?"

"Maybe, she found out who Andrea really was and chose to marry Aaron to protect him." Henri raised his eyebrows liking his theory. "There are many theories because Brielle was known to be a hard-ass and wasn't pushed around easily. So she could have made enemies too."

"I doubt she became another Andrea." I grumbled, they only looked at me but didn't say anything. "Knowing Andrea she may have tried to kill Brielle that night" Their eyes turned to me.

"Do you think the Old Queen would have tried to help out my real grandmother and the Heir?" I asked them. "She could have kept them comfortable all these years in Germany."

"It is a possibility. Okay so if the Burke family, your real family took in the Heir, then where would they have gone?"

"The Burkes are German?" Ezra replied thoughtfully. He turned to me and closed his eyes slightly. "You don't look German."