Chapter 25

I smiled at them and told them everything. They stayed the night with me and the next morning there was a sharp knock. I woke up from the bed with a pounding heart. I lifted my knife and made my way to the door, slowly.

"Open up." Ezra yelled through the door. I lowered my knife and opened the door. Everybody else were on their feet with weapons drawn.

"So we have a problem." Ezra walked in with Young trailing him. Young nodded at me once and closed the door. He stood by the door. "Tonight is Byron's" he hesitated. "Byron is getting engaged."

"What?" my mouth dropped open. I glanced at Young for confirmation. He nodded once confirming what Ezra had just said. "What?" I repeated not sure that I had heard correctly. How could Byron be engaged?

There was no way he was engaged.

Trying to remain calm was all I could think about doing right now.

"You are joking?" I laughed at Ezra. Nobody was laughing. They were staring back at me.

"Can we have a moment?" Ezra asked the Captain, Max and Lindsay to leave. They looked at each other but nodded. He waited until they were gone. "Are you okay?" he asked slowly. I brushed my hand but had to turn away from him.

How could he be getting married?

To someone else.

I made a face at the wall I was facing. After taking a few silent deep breaths, I turned to Ezra and nodded.

"Yup."

Ezra rolled his eyes.

"I don't know why you keep denying that you don't still like Byron." he sat down with watchful eyes. He was reading me.

"I don't like Byron." I said through gritted teeth. My voice was too forceful and strange. I was lying. "Besides I'm engaged to Taron."

"It isn't even an engagement you want." Ezra searched my eyes. The door opened and Thomas barged in.

"Did you tell her?" He stopped and stared at me. "I told you to wait."

"I couldn't. She still likes him." Ezra replied matter-of-factly. "That's the problem."

Thomas lifted his eyebrows a little bit. He didn't seem surprised.

"It won't be a problem." I tried to keep my voice calm. "He has gotten over my death and-"

"You have spent months denying how much he means to you." Ezra tilted his head slightly. His blue eyes were narrowed.

"Stop reading me." I snapped at him. "I am with Taron. I like Taron. Byron was just-"

"Byron wasn't just some little fling." Ezra didn't lift his gaze from mine. He was trying to figure out what I was thinking. Thank goodness he wasn't a mind reader.

"Right now we are concerned about other things. I don't like Byron. My feelings for him are different. Changing- Taron."

"You have a thing for Taron." Ezra whispered. My head and Thomas's head snapped towards him. "You have a thing for the thief." He looked shocked. My eyes flickered to Thomas who looked shocked too. "Iris, are you falling for the thief?" he got up slowly not lifting his eyes from mine. Thomas was trying to say something because he kept opening his mouth. Nothing was coming out, though.

I wasn't sure what to say.

"Maybe." I grimaced, lowering my eyes. He knew if I lied to him so I might as well be truthful with him and myself.

"Shit. No." Ezra shook his head. "Iris that is a Warlock. You are a Guardian. I mean, he is a Warlock Prince."

"I know." I lowered my eyes again unable to look at any of them. "You know we spent a lot of time together and-"

"Iris, don't confuse lust and love."

"He's in love with me."

"Uh-oh." Thomas and Ezra muttered under their breath. I nodded. Without much thought, I sunk to the chair behind me.

"Iris, he is a Prince. He is going to take his throne and become Chancellor." Ezra kneeled in front of me. "You can't marry him. You have duties here- with us." he searched my eyes. His tone was hard like if he was trying to make me understand.

"It isn't like I'm glad I have a thing for him. It was only supposed to be a physical relationship." I snapped at him annoyed that he was trying to lecture me.

"You are confused about Byron because you are still in love with him." Thomas replied, his eyes were burrowing into my head. I could feel his scorching annoyed gaze.

I was annoyed with myself too.

I nodded in response. They might as well know everything.

"Well he is getting engaged and his party is tonight." Ezra got to his feet. "And you are going because this means you will have access to the castle."

I scowled in response. I did not want to see Byron and his fiancé.

"Who was invited?"

"Marquess Alessandra, the Siren Earl's daughter." Thomas snorted in response.

I briefly recalled seeing a picture of her. She was absolutely stunning. She was French with the trademark Siren hair. In response, I scowled at the boys.

"I know." Ezra chuckled. "Who would have thought that nerd would end up with such a hottie."

"Yeah well the Witch Gabriela Thais from Brazil got invited too." I scowled again. The boys noticed my reaction. She was stunning too. She had dark long hair with beautiful dark tan skin.

My fist tightened.

"Who else?"

"Cindy Christensen, the Immortal Duke's daughter." Ezra started to rattle off names. Of course, he would have been set up with some of the world's most beautiful women. "The party is set to start at 7, and the girls are being presented around 8:30." Ezra pulled out an itinerary. "We have to stay with Byron all night. Young will be with the girls all night."

"How is he going to select them?"

"Anika wants them to present their abilities and he can pick the best one."

I blinked in surprise at the way the bride was being selected.

"Okay." I nodded. There was a knock on the door, and Henri poked his head in.

"So have you told her?" Henri asked the guys. They shifted in their feet awkwardly.

"Yes, Byron is getting engaged."

"No that you are one of the attending potential brides." Henri pushed the door open. In his hand was a box. "Duchess Ariana Henri is going to be attending the party." He grinned.