Chapter 2- The River

I stared in front of me, not sure what to do. Lily answered my question, we bolted. We had to get away from them. Away from all of it. I felt sick knowing Lily and I might end up like my parents did. We had to run. We had to survive. I could see a river in the distance and fear struck me. What if we didn't make it through this?

As we neared the river, Lily shot me a nervous glance. "What do we do?"

I knew she knew what we had to do...we had to jump into the river. The river was now straight in front of us. "Jump!" I shouted, and I was immediately greeted by the freezing cold of the water.

I was pulled under the water. I fought for air and was thankful for even a single gasp. I searched frantically for Lily, and finally spotted her behind me. I tried to speak to her, but no words came out. We were pulled under again...but suddenly I noticed something not too far ahead. It looked like the water just ended. It just dropped off...like a waterfall.

I tried to turn and swim against the current, and Lily did the same, but the current was too strong. The river continued carrying us towards the waterfall. Panic gripped me. I tried to put my hooves on the bottom of the river to help me swim, but I couldn't grip the slippery rocks and pebbles.

I realized the humans were following us with their horses. Anger and fear shot through me. It wasn't fair that they could just keep coming back, like there was no end to them. I wanted to run away from them, but the current couldn't be stopped. We couldn't climb out of the water because the banks were too high up.

One of the humans fired their guns. I felt helpless. There was nothing I could do. I closed my eyes, ready for the pain of the bullet...but no pain came. I felt unharmed. I opened my eyes to see my worst fear come to life. Lily had been shot.