Chapter 6- The Rescue

I led the way with Little Creek on my back. I cantered as fast as I could without making him fall off. The other human and his horse followed close behind. I recognized the landscape around us, we were getting close. 

We ran through a forest, but I suddenly came to a stop. There was rustling in the tall bushes behind us. We were being followed.

Two humans on horses jumped out. "Did you miss us?" one of them said. 

"No, but you're about to miss us!" Little Creek exclaimed as he thought quickly and pulled back a branch on a tree and let it go. It hit the two men's faces and they were nocked off their horses. 

I let myself laugh in amusment. They definetly deserved that. They would get back up soon, but now they were out cold. They'll never catch us if they don't have their horses, I thought to myself. I started cantering again and the two men's horses bolted after us. 

Eventually we lost the two horses who had wandered away. We soon reached the pool of water near the waterfall. I found Lily resting on a big rock. We walked up to her and she dully looked up at us. 

"H-hey, you're back," Lily said weakly. 

"Yes. I promised you I would return, just like I always do," I replied with an anxious smile. 

Little Creek and the other human he had called Chief dismounted and brought out some herbs to ease the pain until we returned to the camp. I knew this wasn't his real name, but it was the only one I knew. 

Little creek tried to keep his long black hair out of his face while he put the herbs on Lily's wound. 

When they finished, Lily had to be tied to the horn of my saddle to try to pull her along. Lily could barely stand. It crushed me to see my best friend like this. I wished it would just be over, it was torture. 

We trekked back through the forest and over the grassy plains of the wild. I kept looking back to check on Lily. She looked as mirable as I felt. 

Suddenly I felt like I was dragging something. I looked back to see that Lily had collapsed on the ground. Lily!! I screamed in my head. I stopped in my tracks and Little Creek dismounted. He rushed over to Lily with the Chief behind him. 

Lily groaned and I cringed. "Lily?" I said. 

She looked at me with sparkling eyes and smiled, but didn't have the strength to talk. 

I saw Chief gesture Little Creek in the direction of the waterfall. Immediately Little Creek got on my back and told me to gallop. I ran as fast as I could. I didn't know what was happening, but what I did know was I needed to hurry. 

We reached the village behind the waterfall and Little Creek dismounted and told me to stay put. He ran to his teepee. He's probably getting supplies. 

When he came out of the teepee, Little Creek held many ropes. He mounted me and soon we were on our way back to Lily.

The thought of me loosing Lily made me shudder. I can't let that happen...I won't, I thought.