Chapter 8- The Recovery

Again I prayed that Lily would heal and everything would be fine. I paced back and fourth anxiously outside of Little Creek's teepee. Lily was all I could think about. Little Creek had tried to calm me down, but my feelings seemed to resist.

It was the next morning and I woke to the smell of apples. There was a fresh pile next to me that Little Creek had probably left for me. The apples were juicy and sweet. They were my favorite fruit. I rose to my hooves and walked to the gate. I knew it was early in the morning, but I couldn't sleep any longer, I was too anxious.

The sun rose a bit higher in the sky and some people and horses stirred. Dawn had been so beautiful this morning. I smiled at the memory.

Little Creek appeared suddenly and opened the gate to my corral quietly. I slowly stepped out and he led me through the village to a grass-covered hill. Steam from someone cooking had blocked my view like fog.

Little Creek whistled, as if calling to someone. Then, out of the smoke, an outline of a horse emerged. It was Lily. She had recovered, and all doubts I had faded away. Relief and happiness washed over me. My best friend was back.

Without hesitation, I ran to her and we hugged. "Thank you," I said to her.

"For what?" She asked.

"For saving my life, you truly are my best friend. And thank you for being here," I answered, smiling.

The palomino mare looked at me. "No, thank you...for waiting for me to return. It's like you said, nothing can split us up," she smiled, and that moment was one of the best in my life.

A few months later...

I was growing up, almost four and a half. Lily and I knew we had many more adventures to come. The seasons changed, and I thought of the world, wondering how it could get more and more beautiful than before.

I was ready for anything that the world threw at me, and perhaps someday, I might find love, with more adventures around every corner.

The End