Chapter 7- The Rush

"Mom!" I screamed as she was attacked by humans wearing dark blue uniforms. Tears spilled down my cheeks as I lost my mother. "No, no, NO!" I cried. Another outline of a horse appeared. "Dad? Dad!" I recognized the tall painted horse. I was heartbroken as my father was taken down by the enemy. Rage and fear took over me. Tears blurred my vision.

The horrifying flashback that had appeared faded away. I grunted. I was not going to loose Lily like I did my parents. My pace quickened and determination drove me to the pool of water.

When I reached the water, Little Creek brought the ropes to the Chief and they put the loops around Lily around her neck and around her back and belly. 

Slowly, Lily got up with the help of the humans and the Chief's horse, Scorpion, and I pulled her to  the village.

I hurried as fast as I could, but I had fallen to my knees and Little Creek was thrown forward. I cringed and tried to get up, but the pain in my knee made me collapse again. I was tripped by one of the ropes.

"What happened?" It was the Chief. "Are you alright, Little Creek?" 

"Y-yep, just a few scratches," he said. Then he looked at me with worry. "She tripped on a rope."

I was fine, I wish I could tell him. 

"Okay, I'll walk," Little Creek said. 

The Chief nodded and pulled me to my feet. His strength surprised me. We carried on and I checked on Lily. She just looked at me and smiled, but I knew she wasn't fine. She needed medical attention. Her eyes fluttered closed again and I faced forward, letting her rest as we pulled her through the waterfall and into the village. 

Lily's eyes widened with surprise at the new village. I had described the old village to her. Broken, destroyed, and smokey. Sadness showed through her blue eyes in disbelief, but now sparkled with happiness. As we entered, more humans came over and Little Creek explained what was going on. They immediately rushed Lily into a large teepee where two humans worked to help her. 

I was relieved to see Lily happy again before she had to go, and her had eyes sparkled with hope.