Chapter 36

Kayley's POV

I never got that nap I wanted. I stayed up all night in the hospital waiting for Alice to wake up. I had gone in to see her while she was still asleep. Her wrists were tightly wrapped in bandages. I was strangely upset. Not in the sense I was sad, but I was disappointed. I was disappointed in her.

"Ms. Cunningham is awake. You can see her now," a doctor said as he entered the waiting room. Everybody jumped up and ran to the room, but I was the first. When I entered the room, anger suddenly burned through my body.

"How could you?" I whispered. "How could you?!" I said a little louder. "YOU PROMISED! IN JANUARY! YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD STOP! YOU PROMISED!"

I took a step toward the bed, but someone grabbed my arms from behind. They dragged me out of the room. Once we were out in the hallway, I turned around. It was Niall that dragged me out.

"WHY?!" I yelled.

"You can't just lash out on her like that, Kayley!" he said.

I looked into his eyes. "Why not? She broke her promise. She was cutting herself, Niall!"

"It's harder to stop than you think," he told me. I took a step back from him, turned around, and just started walking down the hallway toward the waiting room. I heard footsteps behind me, but I kept walking. The tears started streaming down my face again. When I got out to the lobby, I plopped down in one of the chairs and started crying. Niall sat in the chair next to me and started rubbing my back.

I started getting cramps. They were like period cramps, only worse.

"Niall," I gasped, panicked. "I think I'm getting a contraction."

"Already?" he asked. "But you're only six months along!"

I shrugged and started rubbing my stomach. The muscles were really tight. Niall pulled his phone out of his pocket and looked something up.

"This says that Braxton Hicks contractions can start within six weeks of being pregnant," Niall told me. I nodded. I'd been getting weird cramps since around April, but none of them were this bad. The muscles started loosening up and started hurting less.

Niall asked, "Are you okay?" I nodded and sighed. Three more months of this. Hip hip hooray. He stood up and held a hand out for me. "Can we go back?" I nodded again. "Are you gonna freak out again?" I shook my head. "Okay." We went back to Alice's room to see Zayn standing in the corner sobbing, Alice looked scared, and everybody else was looking at me like I had a gun.

"I'm not gonna freak out again. I promise," I said. They relaxed a little, but they were still pretty tense.

I walked up to the side of Alice's bed and said, "I'm sorry for freaking out like that. But you promised me you would stop. It was the day me and Niall left for Hawaii. I'm pretty sure our conversation went something along the lines of: 'Promise me something. Don't cut anymore. For me. For Zayn. For everybody. Please.' 'I will. Well, I'll try. I'll try my hardest.' 'Trying isn't hard enough.' You broke your promise."

"I'm sorry. I promise I won't do it again," she said.

"Promising is better than trying," I said with a smile.

She nodded and muttered, "You were the one who found me. I'd be dead if you didn't come back to the bus to take a nap. Harry told me." She answered my question before I could even ask it.

"Are we good?" I asked. She nodded and held her arms out for a hug. I smiled and stepped into her weak embrace.

Louis stepped over and asked Alice, "When can you leave?"