Chapter 4 - Need

Artemisia
She has a feeling for me... She loves me... Love? Do I know this word? No.
Life did not gave me a chance to understand the meaning of this single word. My life changed 15 years ago. Burning fire, my mother's scream, father's corpse, mocking laugh of Greek soldiers and my baby sister whom I have lost that day is the only memories left from my childhood. Mother hid my sister in the backyard of our house with her nanny when that disgusting human beings invaded our village. To this day, I do not know whether she survived or not only thing I remember from her was she was nearly 5 years old and I was only 10 when we lost our parents, hope and life. They killed my parents, burned my home and made me their slave under their ship. Rape, abuse, slavery those three words are enough to explain my 2 years of life with them. I didn't had a wish to live so I was waiting for my death to come when I was staring at the sky hopeless one day. Streets were filled with people but no one even looked at my direction. Despite my prayer to just die and end the misery that is my life, a stranger rescued me. That man, the only person who saved me from the gates of Hades was of Persian blood. Since then I became Persian in my heart when I arrived in his arms at his kingdom called Persia, the sworn enemy of Greek. Zerox gave me a chance to live and I chose to live for revenge. I promised myself to live to burn that damned country of Greece and let them weep as my vengeance against them. Years of training and focusing on my priority made me the best general Persians have ever known. At the midst of my quest to raise to the seat Persians bestowed on me, I have never knows what sweet misery is called love.
The countless lives I have taken, the haunting dreams of past never allowed me to enjoy such privilege. However, now that the precious princess of Darius claims to be in love with me for years. Thoughts of love that never struck me on my years filled with conquests, now shadows my mind after I took a stroll at the royal garden where I received a confession.

Despite the lingering curiosity, my priority shall be my vengeance and vengeance alone. That is why I raised from the verge of death to continue on. As it is my reason of existence, nothing shall hinder my desire of revenge.
I was heading to my training room when the sun began to rise next day. Every battle can took your life, there is no such thing as safe or easy one when two person holds a sword to fight. I repeated to myself the lesson Zerox taught me from the moment I wielded a sword for the first time. However, when I entered the room, I spotted a figure with a long white robe with a golden belt as well as a dark hair with a golden crown on it. Princess...
Anahita seems to be training in archery as I'm raised beside her, I am aware she has a talent in archery as well as swordsmanship. Despite her innocence and purity towards the world, she was taught to defend herself by Zerox alongside me. To give her royal highness the privacy to train, I was about to head out when I heard her curse under her breath. Somehow I found it quite amusing to hear someone as noble as her say such a thing.
After cleaning her wound, I offered to escort her to the palace of princess as I was curious of her behavior after the last night's events unfolded between us. Anahita struggled to act nonchalant but I was quite sure my presence bothered her due to her lack of interaction with me. To my surprise, the shy princess offered a tea to me which I obliged as I am aware I'm in no status to deny daughter of my king's request.
However, her sudden boldness did not end at tea as I found myself in her warm embrace.
She made me promised to come back as I informed her of my departure to eliminate Pilasik. I obliged once again as I should not offend the royal princess. Or so I thought.
~~~
"Artemisia."
"Zerox."
"I heard you accompanied the princess today." Zerox said which I ignored as I see it as something irrelevant and not worth conversing with my comrade and teacher.
"King is willing to start a war. "He said again and took a moment to finish his sentence, "Against the Greeks." This time it got my attention as I finally turned myself to lock eyes with him. He could see the sparks of hope, flames of vengeance inside my eyes.
"But.." Zerox's next word made me frown.
"He seems to hesitate a lot. You know he values the princess more than anyone, including her brother."
He said thoughtfully and left me alone with my thoughts. It is true that Anahita is more favored by the king and it might be not the worst idea that she happens to have feelings for me.
~~~

Months later I succeeded in cutting the traitor's head off but not without a wound from him as the bastard clung unto his dear life until his last breath.
Delivering another head to Darius and killing even a babe is how I acquired my seat his council. However, seeing his naive princess murdering a boy in front of the court was something I could have never expected.
She even ordered the execution of the girl and her mother who sobbed over her dead boy's corpse. Though I saw her crumbling inside, it was impressive how she retained her composure until the end. With my newfound interest, I excused myself from the feast to follow after her.
"Where is her royal highness?" I asked her head maid that welcomed me which she motioned towards the bed chamber.
I found Anahita standing under the moonlight alone. Her eyes were closed but a single teardrop was visible in her long eyelashes. I approached her as she might be the key to fulfill my true desire.

As Zerox informed me, the king must be considering a war as I was ordered to participate in the hunting trip he initiated the next morning. His beloved princess is also present as I looked at her chasing a prey that caught her eyes. Curious to see Anahita's splendid archery skill well-known in the court which she has never shown me, I rode after her. However, I found her on the ground next to her wounded stallion as her immortal guards circling around her as if she was their prey. Immediately understanding the situation I rushed to rescue her to find Malik, the brother of the traitor scheming to take revenge. Even though I understand his desire to shed blood for his brother and his family, Anahita shall not be harmed. I need her.
My piercing gaze stared directly at Malik as I found him looking down on me preparing to swing his sword. I never broke my gaze nor closed my eyes. I don't fear anything and If I am to die now let it be. If death comes I'm ready. But an arrow shot right through his chest at the last moment and his lifeless body fell right beside me. I looked up to see Anahita collapsing to the ground and her golden bow right at her hand. I embraced her to assist her back on her feet. However, she pulled back, her pitch black teary eyes looked at me for a second then I felt her lips connecting with mine. For a minute I froze, but I've done what anyone would've done. I kissed her back. I reminded myself I'm doing this because I needed to not because I wanted to do.
~~~
"What??" The king Darius thundered after he heard what happened to his dear princess.
"Forgive me your majestyj. I should've known the guards were traitors behorehand." I said and knelt down.
"No, father. Its not her fault. Who could've expected Malik would dare to attempt a revenge? If someone needs to be blamed, It should be me for being careless." Anahita said in a firm and decisive tone.
I caught the king's gaze soften when he stared at Anahita and his gentle gesture towards her only proved that if I need a person who can convince the king to start a war against the Greeks it is undoubtedly the princess.

As the hunting cut short due to the incident involving the princess, I returned to the military palace.
Everything is peaceful but I despise the calmness of it. The reason I am breathing now is just to dance on the back of dead Greeks. Yet the time I'm waiting for seems far away from my grasp. I desperately need to find a way. Though it is not ideal, my only way might be Anahita, a woman who declares her love for me.

A/N : Its been a while.
Also things are just starting so you dont have to worry things are going fast. I'll try my best to not bore you guys. Dont forget to vote and comment. I might update very soon :)