Ch 9: Secrets aren't like Coldplay

Kevin grit his teeth, "This day could not get any worse!" he grumbled.

Javier didn't say anything, and simply trudged back to the precinct in quiet solidarity. Not that anyone would begrudge them their silence.

Kevin had barely stepped into the bullpen, when Lanie flew to them.

"Oh Thank God!!!" she screeched.

Both men stumbled back in shock, "L-Lanie?" Kevin stuttered as she reached him and squeezed his hands.

"Where the hell have you two been?" she demanded.

Both men looked away.

"Recon", Kevin eventually answered.

"And that's why you couldn't reply to any of our calls", she sighed.

"Actually we both left our cellphones here", he answered instead.

"Babes, what's going on?" Javier interceded finally.

Lanie sobbed, "Alexis is in the hospital", she cried out.

"What?!!!" Kevin straightened and jogged to his desk, "Why?" he demanded even as he unlocked his phone and checked the screen.

Sam: 25 missed Calls

James: 30 voice-messages

"What happened?" he turned to Lanie angrily, "What happened?" he asked again.

"I don't have the details, just bits and pieces of what Kate told me. She fainted, and got stabbed, and something. Your cousin has been calling the precinct every hour of the hour", she informed.

"Which Hospital?" he demanded as he grabbed his bag, and keys, "Lanie?" he asked again.

Why did he have to keep repeating himself?

"The Closest was Metro General", she told him.

"Javi, I'll meet you there", he took the stairs, seeing as the elevator seemed to take forever to climb back up.

"Bro, I'll come with you", Javi moved forward.

But Kevin was already jogging down, blindly moving to where he knew was his bike, he'd managed to arrive early only to have come across the worst news ever. Knowing Montgomery was the third cop, had just about killed him completely.

This, this accident, he couldn't handle losing his anchor.

Kevin ran, blinded as much by tears as by the darkness that threatened to consume him, stumbling through the barely lit corridor, the parking garage, he skid and slipped on the floor, it paid a contrast to the howling like a vacuum wind that chilled him to the bone, but he kept going.

He had to reach Alexis, as fast as he could.

If he had been thinking clearly, Kevin would have gone via the car, Javier would have been the steadier of the two, and yet all he could think about was not losing her, he couldn't! She was everything. His superhero!

But Kevin wasn't thinking stumbling through the barely lit corridor, the parking garage, he skid and slipped on the floor, his only thought was of reaching his gemstone. Because right now, all he could here were the lyrics to a song, that seemed to capture him and bound him in reverberated in his skull, like drums;

"I don't need you to believe in me
I know how to change my destiny
Sit down, about to rewrite our history, rewrite our history, rewrite our history"

Every one of the gods must have been smiling on him when they'd brought her to him. Kevin had never trusted anyone before Alexis, not really, but she had proved that she wouldn't let him down. When his nightmares had taken his control, had come to destroy him, Kevin had known that he had to get to her, and fast.