•Chapter 3: They Said He Loved Me•

The night of the dance, I started getting ready a half hour before Aiden was going to pick me up. I was in such a rush, I had to re-do my eyeliner four times because I kept messing up. I was really happy with the outcome, though.

I put on the dress, and for the first time, I realized why everyone was awe-struck by it. I look... amazing. But, it needs a personal touch. I grab a
jean-vest and layer it over the dress. I put on some plain black heels. "That's more like it," I whisper to myself. I look at the clock on my phone. Aiden is twenty minutes late.

I find him in my 'Contacts' and call him.

Hey. You've reached the voicemail box of Aiden Castel. Leave me message, if you please. Have a nice day.

I text him, wait ten minutes, and, still, nothing. The dance started half and hour ago. I was late.

Maybe his car broke down, I think to myself. Fat chance. Aiden just got a brand new car, the chances of it breaking down after a month were slim.

I'll just wait. He'll be here soon.

So, I waited. I watched and episode of "F.R.I.E.N.D.S." Nothing. I watched an episode of "Once Upon a Time". Nothing. An hour and a half passed. Still, no Aiden. I was two hours late for the dance.

My motto in life is:
If it's not now, it's not happening.

(I have lots of mottos. That's just one that helped me not procrastinate.)

I had settled with the fact that he just wasn't coming.

Luckily, I know someone who is always late. Jackson.

He was at my house less than ten minutes after I called, and apparently he had just finished getting ready. It all worked out. As Jackson pulled up to my house in his [old] black Jeep, I texted Aiden saying I had Jackson pick me up, and we were on our way.

"You look gorgeous," Jackson tells me. My face burns. I smile.

"And you look very handsome," I reply. This was true, his simple black and white suit showed off his biceps and framed his muscular body perfectly.

"What happened to lover boy?"

"Don't know. He stood me up, I guess."

"He didn't deserve you anyway."

I'm surprised by this statement. Jackson has complimented me before, but not in this way.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, then." Out of the corner of my eye, I can see a smirk on Jackson's face, while a full-on smile creeps up on mine.

We reach the school and enter the auditorium. The walls are decorated with snowflakes and twinkly lights. There are two arches on either side of the large room, with mistletoe in the center of each arch.

We soon find Fawn, Rori, and Dax sitting at a table with food on their plates. "Hey, guys! Oh, Lucy, this is Jackson. This is Grey," Dax says to his cousin. He actually brought her.

"Hey, Dax. Hi, Lucy," I say to them. I turn to Fawn and Rori. "Have either of you seen Aiden?"

"Yeah. At around 7:00," Rori tells me. Aiden was supposed to pick me up at 7:00.