•Chapter 10: New York, New York•

We got to the city that never sleeps at 8 AM. It was incredible. I never realized how busy a place can be so early. I thought of the kids who had lived here their whole lives. They'd have no reason to run. Right?

Jackson and I found an empty lot behind a motel to park the car. I walked into the motel to see if they had any rooms available. Thankfully, they did. I knew the room would completely suck because it was so cheap. I paid the front desk two weeks' worth, but she gave back half, saying there was a special rate for "long-time stays". I had never been happier to hear a blatant lie.

Jackson took the liberty of bringing our bags into our room.

"Excuse me, sir?" the woman says.

"Yes?" he replied softly.

"Where are you going with those?"

"Up to our room. What's the room number, by the way?" he asked.

"'Our room? You mean you two are sleeping together? In the same bed? How old are you anyway?"

"Eighteen," we answered simultaneously.

"No worries, ma'am," I began. "Jackson and I take turns on the floor. We're both Christians."

"Oh, well, I suppose that's a comforting thought. Still, I'm not sure I can allow this. Either one of you finds another place to stay, or you can't stay here."

WHAT? OKAY, MS. PURITY. I KNOW I'M YOUNG AND JACKSON DOESN'T LOOK LIKE HE CAN KEEP IT IN HIS PANTS, BUT WHO GAVE YOU THE RIGHT TO KEEP ME FROM SLEEPING WHERE I WANT WITH WHOM I WANT? Granted, I'm not planning on sleeping with Jackson anytime soon, but I AM in love with him, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him. So, can't I be trusted to make the right choice when it comes to whether or not I sleep with him?

And that's the moment I realized I had said that out loud.

I turn around to see Jackson's face, beaming like a child who had heard he could have ice cream for dinner for the rest of his life. I turn back to the woman. "So, can we stay here or not?"

With a stunned look still on her face, she hands me a key and mumbles, "Number nine."

I smugly take the keys from her hand and strut down the hallway to room number nine. Jackson jogs to catch  up to me. "I love you, too," he whispers in my ear as I turn the key to our room. He casually drops our bags at the foot of the bed, and collapses into the comforter. "You get the floor tonight," he proclaims, smirking to himself.

The rest of that day was spent in the city. I walked into different shops and such, filling out tons of résumés right on the spot. I needed a job ASAP. Jackson had to calm me down at least ten times.

Though the day was stressful, the sunset was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked a little lake. Jackson and I both had heavy coats on, as winter was just ending. The plus side of this fact was having the lake still frozen over. We sat on a single lawn chair, watching a few people skate on the little lake. "Grey?" Jackson said to me.

"Yes," I smiled up at him. He grabbed my hand.

"I love you."

"I know," I responded.

"And?" he questioned.

"I love you, too, Jackson."