Chapter 6

I lay down and cover up.

When I wake up, light is shining bright through my window. The blind hadn't been put back down. I groan inwardly at the blinding, migraine inducing light. Rolling out of bed, I make my way to the other side of my junky bedroom. I grab a green towel from my desk chair. The house is quiet save for my mom watching t.v. My dad must have gone with some drug or drinking buddies.

The bathroom is dank and small and the water is always cold. I run a pan of cold water up. I snatch a clean washcloth from the cabinet and I wash up like a third world inhabitant. When I am as clean as I can get, I wrap up in my towel and head back to my room. I dress in a pair of gray skinny jeans and a black baggy sweatshirt. I pull on some shiny black doc martens and leave them unzipped on the side. My makeup is simple. I swipe some Nars illuminator on my cheeks and nose, then I blot on my cheek stain. I finish by powdering my face lightly and top my lashes off with manga mascara. As usual, my hair looked like a messy heap right on top with the rest too short to be styled. My eyebrows looked thick, too, since I had neglected a pluck or two. I looked bold and bare at the same time like a 90s grunge phase. I sigh and smile at my reflection. I do a few turn arounds in the mirror and view my body from every angle. Even in the baggy sweater, I looked voluptuous. My hips flared out and my boobs made the loose sweater clingy on my chest area. I hated being short and super curvy. I WASN'T fat, just weirdly proportioned. I stop judging myself in the mirror and turn away. I grab my brown buttery leather moto jacket and walk out the bedroom door. I check my phone. It says 11:30 am. I have an hour before Bast is supposed to arrive.

I sit down and one of my mom's dogs lays down in my lap. My mom and I make conversation by discussing things at random. Not once does she apologize for last night. It isn't eve brought up... First, we talk about the weather and how it is warmer than usual to be in December, then it leads to craving ice cream, then the topic goes off to how much she hates cleaning up after the dogs and my dad, and then she mentions Sebastian.

"Have you seen or heard any from that boy I saw in the store? He looks nice." She says nice exaggeratingly bad.

I tread lightly on this subject since the topic of guys usually brings about an argument.

"Maybe..." Just as soon as I get the one word out of my mouth, a dark gray motorcycle pulls up and stops in the driveway behind my car, "Mom, I have to go. I have a busy day ahead of me."

She rubbernecks her head around to see who pulled in. She sees the motorcycle and then, "Who is THAT? I bet its some fuck stick here for your dad."

I get up, "I'm pretty sure that's my ride. Gotta go." I lean down and kiss her cheek.

I head out the door and up the path in the midst of romping cats. When I get all the way to Bast, he stands up and digs a closed-in helmet out of his pack. I slip it on over my head and wait as he turns the bike around. Before we take off, he speaks.

"There's a wireless headset built into the helmet so we can each other while we're on the road." I hear him say through my helmet.

"Okay. Thanks for telling me." I sit down behind him and wrap my arms around his middle. I was feeling a bit nervous because I have never rode on a bike before.

He revs the engine and we speed out of the driveway and onto the road. Through my helmet I heard wind whipping around us and the sound of the engine. I hold my breath as I watch scenery whip past us in a blur. I try to focus my attention on the ride but I was also unintentionally focusing on how close I was with Bast. I could feel his body warmth through his clothes. It felt quite nice in contrast to the chilly air whipping in and lashing my skin. I had previously forgotten to zip my jacket up.