Drew's POV: The Tenth Step

I smiled slightly at the picture, before folding it neatly and tucking it into my pocket. It was a beautiful picture of course, one of me and my Shane, when we were together that is.

Shrugging on my coat, I sighed as I remembered the times that he would come up behind me and fix my collar - a small gesture, but a caring one never the less. Then he would reach across my shoulder to open the door and mock me because of my height.

Walking out of the door, I counted my footsteps down the garden path, it was always the tenth step where Shane would hold his hand out for me to hold. I stretched my arm out and curled my fingers, longing for a hand to wrap them around.

Today would have been our anniversary, 8 years it would have been. But he left just last year: the arguments got out of hand, the drinking started and we'd both just had enough.

It doesn't mean I can't miss him.

So looking up from the floor where my tenth step had landed, I glanced down each end of the street, to find Shane sat alone on the bench opposite just to my right. He was looking straight at me.

Slowly walking up to him, my breath hitched slightly, why was he here? What if he doesn't want me to speak to him? But my legs had already decided what I was doing and I found myself stood next to him a moment later.

"Hi." He said, standing up and clasping his hands together, a nervous habit of his.

"Hey." I replied, looking down at the floor, somehow my feet seemed a lot more interesting by this point, until I felt a finger gently lifting my chin up.

"I've missed you Drew." He whispered. I nodded, grimacing as i felt tears fill my eyes, they eventually spilled over and I hastily wiped them away.

"Could we talk?" He asked.

I nodded again and started walking, signalling for him to follow me.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a hand hesitantly make its way across the distance between us. Stretching my arm out, I gladly curled my fingers around his own, smiling contently.

...........

So this one is more short and sweet, a bit like Drew I guess!

I hope you enjoyed The Tenth Step and I've decided I'll try and upload every day, and if you have any ideas, be sure to comment or drop me a message!

See you guys soon.

~ThePerksOfBeingJade