A Fond Memory

12 months earlier

     I quickly walked over to the door of my quarters towards the knocks that were still going on. "Coming!" I yelled growing impatient. I had just finished brushing my hair when the knocks had started. Now I was trying to unlock my door, still not used to how the lock on the door worked. "Then hurry up!" Yelled a voice on the other side of the door. I finally finished unlocking the door and opened it. I certainly wasn't expecting what I saw. 

     Mirabelle, along with some girls I had seen around, along with others I did not recognize stood right outside my quarters. "Oh, what can I help you all with?" I said, surprised at the sight I saw. What else was I supposed to say? "Your coming with us," Mirabelle commanded. "Wha-" before I could finish my question, Mirabelle yanked on my hand, pulling me out of the safety of my quarters and into the hall. Someone closed my door and before I could object, Mirabelle yanked my arm again and started running down the hall. 

     I was so in shock(and trying to keep up with her without tripping) that I didn't say anything. I just let Mirabelle yank on my arm harder and harder as she ran farther down the hall and towards who knows what. That got me thinking. Mirabelle and never said exactly where we were going and none of the other girls running behind us offered to tell me."Where are we going?" I said almost tripping.

She turned to me with a mischievous glint in her eyes in a sly smile,"you shall see." That was all she said as she pulled me down halls, winding corridors, and stairs.

     We finally came to a door just like mine. We stopped in front of it and I tried to catch my breath. Of course Mirabelle was so impatient that once the occupier of the room opened the door, she yanked my arm once again, pulling me into a room that looked just like mine. She led me to one of the beds and let me sit down and finally slow down my breathing. When I did, she explained everything.

     "Now, you cannot runaway, the door is locked. You HAVE to stay here and let us beautify you up. Not that you aren't beautiful already, but we want to surprise you and give you a welcome party!" She shrieked with excitement. Her chocolaty brown eyes were brimming with laughter and happiness. I wish I could be that happy. I just guess I had too many problems in my life. 

     "Now, I'm going to introduce you to everyone, this is Mary," she said pulling a girl with blond hair and green eyes to stand next to us. "I can't wait to get to know you better!" Mary said, excited. "That's Catherine, Anne, and Thea." She said pointing two three girls, all with brown hair and green eyes. They looked exactly alike. "Their triplets, each only two minutes apart," Mirabelle explained as they all waved at me and said hello. 

     "And then there's Winifred and Matilda." Winifred was cute, she was the kind of girl any man would gladly take under his wing. She had perfect curly, blond locks, big blue eyes, and a splash of cute freckles across her nose. She seemed very sweet. "Nice to meet you," Winifred said quietly, I guess she was also shy. And then there was Matilda.

     Matilda had dark, black hair, and almost black eyes. She had sharp lines in her face and she looked grumpy. But she was close to Winifred and the two seemed like the best of friends."Nice to meet you," Matilda said curtly. "Matilda is married, and Winifred is engaged and soon to be married," Mirabelle whispered in my ear. Mirabelle introduced more people, but there were so many that I forgot them. After being introduced to everyone, Mirabelle led me over to a mirror on the wall and made me sit on a chair in front of it. 

     After Mirabelle found a brush, she started combing through my hair. As she combed, I looked at myself in the mirror. My blue eyes were normal blue eyes, nothing special about them. Unlike Winifred's eyes that were one color blue, mine had a dark outer ring and faded out in color, I'd like them better if they were just one color, the plainer the better. My hair was dark and long, because it was dark it made my already pale complexion seem even paler, which didn't help. I wish I had a tan complexion, but the sun didn't come out much in the Rumples.

     "All done!" Mirabelle exclaimed. She had put my hair in a braid bun that wound around my head. It was beautiful. I smiled and looked up at Mirabelle about to thank her, but she was tapping her chin. "Hmm...It's missing something," and she left without and explanation. I sat there wondering what to do. Mirabelle came back carrying flowers in her arms. She carefully placed each one in my hair and took a step back, observing her work."Perfect, now, my turn." I scooted off the chair and she took my place. 

     Mirabelle's hair was beautiful. It wasn't totally red like I had expected before, but was more strawberry blonde. I wish I had her hair instead of my boring black hair. I put her hair into a braid crown and added the leftover flowers into her hair. "All done!" I exclaimed after carefully putting the last flower in. "Wow," she said in awe,"thank you, it's beautiful." 

      "It's not that good, you just have beautiful hair." I carefully noticed all of my mistakes in the braid and had a strange urge to fix them. But not with my hands. With magi- no, no, no. I will NOT even think about it. Magic is forbidden, magic is bad, magic brings grief. Using magic is what made me leave the Rumples, I will never use it again. "You okay Emeline?" Mirabelle asked concerned. "Yeah fine."