Chapter 24 - Destiny

It's been four days since I have had a conversation with Matthews. People are starting to notice. Boys from his football team have come up and questioned me as to why I was not at the practices as I usual am. I told them some lame excuse of having appointments to go to. Some ate up the excuse while others looked at me uncertainly, but did not question any further. Jasmine has become sort of a friend now. She's no longer cold to me since she found out that Hayden and I weren't together, and it is nice.  

Today it's Sunday - one day away from my birthday - and I'm lying on my bed staring at the ceiling above. Yesterday the Jennings asked me if I wanted them to throw me a party, but I politely declined the offer. I wanted my birthday to go by without any frivolous celebration since it would seem like I would be celebrating the death of my father - and that was wrong. 

I hear a light knock on the door and I turn my head towards it. "Yes?" I call out.  

Mrs. Jennings voice is heard on the other side softly.  "Destiny? Do you mind if I come in?"

I rearrange myself by sitting upright in my bed with my legs crossed like I used to do in kindergarten and answer, "Sure."

She pushes the door open just as I begin running my fingers through my hair to rid it of tangles and sits on edge of my bed with her fingers laced together and resting on her lap. "What's bothering you, Destiny?" She asks softly with concern.

I stop running my fingers through my hair and then drop my hand to the comforter laying on the bed. I pick at a stray thread and answer saying, "Nothing is bothering me."

Mrs. Jennings tilts her head and puts it in line with my face so I am forced to look at her rather than the comforter. "You are distancing yourself, Destiny."

"No, I am not," I lie straight through my teeth.

"Yes, you are. My husband told me to leave it alone, but I think it would be best if you have someone to talk to."

I shake my head and say, "I'm fine really. It's just silly-"

"Boy problems," she says ending my sentence.

"Yeah, that," I breathe.

"Why don't you tell me what the problem - or problems are and I will be the judge to see whether it is silly or not, hmm?"

"Okay," I say, deciding to divulge to her.  

So, for the next half an hour I tell her everything which is going on in my life, and I have to say that it feels good to let it all out. Maybe this is what I needed after all. When I'm done telling her everything tears have escaped my eyes and I am hastily wiping them away.  

"Oh, honey," she whispers as she collects me in her arms. I don't try to fight her embrace, instead I accept it. I have never felt maternal love as hers, even from my biological mother. The thought makes my eyes water even more.  

"Thanks...Mom," I whisper into her shoulder, thanking her for just sitting down and listening to me, something my own Mother didn't do. She never took time to sit down and listen to me talk or play with me - those were things my Father did.  

I feel her breath hitch inside her and then she squeezes me tighter against her. "You're welcome, sweetie."