Chapter 9 - Matthews

I slam the house door shut and drop my keys unceremoniously on the kitchen table. No one yells at me and I know that I am home alone. Good. I don't feel like to deal with my father right now. I run up the stairs to my room and dump out all the contents in my bag onto my bed. Papers and pens scatter, creating a mess. It doesn't matter though. It was a mess inside my bag. At least now I got more area to organize myself. I spend hours working and just as I'm about to call it quits and get something to eat my phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out. It's a text from Nico.

Nico: Prty @ Ty's. U game?

Me: 4 sure.

A party is just what I need to loosen up. There might even be pizza there or something else to eat. I grab the green zip up hoodie that is hanging on my chair and slip it on. I glance at my reflection in the mirror. If Nico doesn't change out of his red shirt then side by side we're going to look like Christmas threw up on us or something with our red and green clothes. Besides that there is a tuft of dark brown hair at the back of my head that is sticking up and I pass my hand across it to flatten it. Once I deem myself acceptable I walk out of the house. I don't bring my car keys since it's a short walk to Ty's house. I don't even bother leaving a note for my Dad. It's past six. If he was coming home he would have been here by now. He's probably clubbing somewhere with that girlfriend of his. I shake my head as if the action would erase the thought I just had.

Forget about him. Forget about his girlfriend, Lizzie. Forget about everything for just once and have a fun night.

...

My alarm clock blares near my ear and I let out a frustrated breath. I slap my hand against it and peel my face off of my pillow afterwards. I lick my dry lips and turn my head so it faces the mirror. I look like I just got run over by a dumpster truck. And then got reversed on by it just for extra measure.

These are one of those rare times where I wish I was a girl. If I was, then I could just paste some makeup on to hide the horror underneath. Girls are just lucky like that.

I have a cup of water on my bedside table near my alarm clock. I pick it up and drink it. I must have put it there last night. I can't remember doing it, but I must have.

I drag myself off of my bed and clamber my way to the bathroom. I take a shower, tug on some clothes, brush my teeth and style my hair. Throughout the whole before school ritual I try to remember what happened last night at the party. I can't though. I guess that's just how wasted I got. I'm surprised I even made it home and I'm not passed out on the curb beside a stinky garbage bag for a pillow. Usually, when I get drunk my sense of direction is awful. I look at myself in the mirror before I walk downstairs. My keys are gone. Dad took my car. I guess that means I'm walking to school and back. Just great.