Epilogue - Hayden

I pop a chip into my mouth and turn away from the television in front of me to look over at Destiny. She told me about how she meet her mother that abandoned after all these years ago - her mother was Mr. Matthews fiancé and became his ex-fiancé the following day when the news broke out. Destiny never saw her again after that brief meeting. I asked her if she wanted to see her mother again and reconnect, just like Matthews has with his brother. She told me that that would never happen since Mother was a woman who did not have the kind heart to do so. Destiny said she finally saw the woman for who she really was.

Matthews and Destiny are cuddled on a loveseat together not paying any attention to the movie playing in front of them. I look down at her finger which hold the ring that Matthews gave her. Mom and Dad both nearly had a heart attack when she walked into the house with that on her finger at nineteen. I didn't have any problem, though. You may think it's because I'm just her brother, and I then didn't feel the need or have any reason to be all up in her business, but no that wasn't the case.  I did care about her, and more times than I should be I was all up in her business - she hated it.  I didn't have a problem with it because it was clearly visibly how much they cared for each other. They were meant for each other, it was painstakingly obvious. Both of them helped one another open up. Neither of them were in a shell or had their hearts locked up anymore. They saved one another like I hoped they would have. I had no doubt in my mind that those two would ride off into the sunset one day.

I throw a chip at them and laugh when it bounces off the top of Destiny's head. 

"Do you have any idea what is happening right now?" I ask as I point to the movie playing.

"Uh, it's about...an invasion of some sort."

"Wrong," I say and then toss a chip into my mouth.

"So, what is it about Mr. Smarty Pants?"

"It's about-" I am suddenly cut off by my phone ringing in my pocket. I fish it out and look at the caller ID. It's Jasmine.

"Who is it?" Nico asks from his seat.

"It's Jasmine," I tell him.

"She was supposed to be here a long time ago," Matthews says with a laugh. "I guess she got lost on her way to your house. Answer the phone to see where that damsel in distress is."

I press the button to answer the call. "Hey, Jasmine where are-"

"Hayden!" Jasmine gasps. "Nico isn't answering his phone and I need him.  Tell Nico I need him. Tell him to come! I need help.  Please!" All her words are so rushed and jumbled that I can barely understand a word she is saying.

"Slow down, take a deep breath. What's wrong?"

"My dad. He..."

Those first two words are all that I need to hear. My gaze snaps to Nico. I know that her dad is trouble with a capital T. "Nico, Jasmine needs help. Something with her Dad."

Nico swears,  jumps up from his seat and runs to the front door where his shoes are laying.  He quickly begins to tug on his shoes.

I am anything but calm, but I try to sound so when I ask, "Where are you, Jasmine?"

"I'm on my way to Nico's house," she gasps.  She sounds like she is running.

I heard all about what happened at Nico's house that one time, and know that she won't be safe there.  So I decide to say, "No, come to my house instead."

"Okay," she sobs.

I look over at the love seat, but Matthews and Destiny are not there anymore. They are at the door getting on their shoes too. "Destiny and Matthews, you guys stay here and wait for Jasmine. Nico and I will go after her father," I tell them. I run out the door after putting on my shoes and Nico and I try to make it to her house as fast as we can. In my hand I have my cell on speakerphone for the whole time as I run.  I continue talking to her as I try my damn best to calm her down on the other end.  Talking to her also makes sure that she's still safe - it calms me down too.