Chapter 5

Chapter 5- Preparing For Bloodshed

I had no idea what to think of Brianna's plan. Instead of trying to work things out peacefully I burst out due to fear.

"Are you crazy?!" I shout getting up from the ground. "Anyone of us could be killed!" I remind Brianna. "This is my fight, and I don't want to hurt or drag anyone else into this," I whimper slumping back down to the ground. "Even if it would work how could we provide food and shelter for the people that decide to help?" I ask Brianna now actually considering her idea.

"You wouldn't be alone Lightning. Garrett's told me everything, and I want to help," Aaron puts in to my surprise.

I turned toward Aaron and offer him a smile in return, "Thanks, we're running low on food and water as it is," I say fretfully.

"Me and Aaron could walk to town and pick up some supplies, it's not that far and we have enough money to by food, water, and weapons if we need them," Garrett offers sounding helpful.

I agree with a nod and turn back to Brianna who had tidied the tree stump and gave Sarah her blanket back, "We can start to make more shelters while they're gone, and maybe a wall for defense," I say attempting to sound authorial and like we now had a solid plan.

My heart lurches when I realize Garrett was in serious danger with my father out there, and now that he knows Garrett and Aaron were with us.

"It's settled then," Garrett says pulling one arm through his coat sleeve.

"No, you can't go! it's too dangerous you both could be killed!" I cry clinging on to Garrett's arm.

He bends down and kisses me on the cheek, then brushes me aside, "We'll be fine, Okay Lightning," Garrett encourages me heading toward the barrier formed by the dense trees.

I sigh with regret letting him go without any means of protection. If any of my friends were killed I would never forgive myself, or the person who killed them. I kneel by the fire and try to stay warm and hold back the tears that were sure to come.

The moon was rising up in the sky by the time Brianna had stopped her work on the other shelters and sat down by Sarah and I.

"Lightning we could really do it you know," Brianna says piercing the lonely silence.

I glare at her with my glossy damp brown eyes, "Do what?" I ask with a growl like sound in my throat.

Brianna narrows her eyes in annoyance, "Defeat your father, invite you to come live with my family, and let everything go back to normal," Brianna returns with a shrug and an only half optimistic tone.

Tensions must have been running high for me and Brianna to be fighting like this, so I take a deep breath and let Sarah change the subject because it was clear something was on her mind.

"Lightning, did you know Garrett before we ran away?" Sarah begins to question me quietly.

"No, I, I told you guys before I've only seen him a couple of times before at school," I defend myself a little too forcefully.

"Uhh, then what made him think he could kiss you?" Sarah says blurting out her demand.

I reach down in to my shirt and carefully pull the necklace out and I hold it out for both Brianna and Sarah to see it sparkle in the moonlight.

"The day he redid the bandage on my arm he told me he liked me and gave me this," I explain still holding the necklace. "He accepted the fact that my family is trying to kill us and promised to help me in any way he can, so then he kissed me on the cheek for the first time. We were both happy for once and now he's out there and could be murdered in cold blood thanks to me," I continue with my voice cracking and my eyes straining in to the distance.