[15] Why Wouldn't I Be Okay?

A/N Edited.

Wade's POV

"Mom! Stop embarrassing me," I muttered as I looked at her with wide warning eyes. It was already past 10:50 PM and look where this dinner's getting me to.

The dinner started at around 8 PM and up until now, these mothers don't know what else to talk about other than the lives of their sons and daughters and its basic screw-ups.

We were at the building rooftop and my parents had to attend this dinner since it was a potential investor interested in a partnership with Dad's company. I sighed as I looked around. Fairy lights hung across the transparent roof with garden plants all around the place. I grip my coat tighter as the cold night breeze of New York swings by.

"I'll just go to the restroom, Mom," I mumbled as I stood up giving them a polite smile before taking off. It was a dreadful evening, with my parents being sucked up at every person they meet, I had to put on a fake smile all day.

If only I had convinced my parents to take princess to come with us to do her job, I wouldn't be wallowing in boredom. I bet she's at home watching movies. Scratch that, I know she's at home watching movies. I didn't know she would stay at home alone and that her parents were on a business trip as well.

Suddenly, like something came over me, I was starting to get a bad feeling. An instinct that something bad is going to happen. I should check if she's okay.

I fish out my phone from my coat's pocket and dialed her. I hope she answers. At least, I would know that she's okay and that she's her usual self.

"What?" I could sense the suspicion in her voice. I hadn't heard this voice in two days. Damn, I didn't know I actually missed her now that I called her.

I woke up from my thoughts and replied, "Well hello to you too," smiling because it was her. She was fine. Thank god, I sighed in relief.

"What do you need? You wouldn't be calling me in the middle of the freakin' night for nothing," she said and I could feel that she was already rolling her eyes while saying this statement.

"Well, I figured you would be having a movie marathon so you would be awake and I thought I'd check in," I said in one breath. Seriously Wade?

Why be such a p---

Shut it, you bitchy brain!

You're calling your own brain bitchy. Way to go. You've done this a thousand times to other girls so why become all nervous about it?

Because she's not like other girls! I should really stop talking to you, buddy. I wonder if Jess also has her, um, brain. I shudder at that.

"How did you know I'm having a movie marathon? And checking what?" You should've been more specific, Wade Johnson! Look now, she's asking what you're checking.

"If you're okay," I replied smoothly like it was the most obvious thing in the world. All I wanted to do is to hear her voice, goddamit! She didn't reply. Oh my god, why is my heart beating faster. Did I say something wrong? Did I do something wrong?

I could hear her chuckle and ask, "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"I just had a bad feeling, that's all," I said. I sighed in relief but was still uneasy. Honestly speaking, I did had it but the bad feeling didn't all go away.

"So what's up?" she asked and I was just thinking of telling her how annoying my mother is tonight. I chuckled at that thought. She seemed quiet for a long time and I could hear metals and other noises rumbling in the background. What was she even doing anyway? Maybe it's from the movie she was watching.