The Golfing Bet

After the family dinner, the three parted ways to help in the family business, but it was not until a month plus a week later that they met again.

Over the five weeks that passed, Marie restored the LGC back to its former glory, and she was able to revamp and modernize the family mansion.

The morning after the thirty-fifth day, Illoaide stood at the now steel and plasma gate of the Lydelian mansion. She had her long white hair tied back in a ponytail and wore a yellow golfer's shirt and sported a white cap. On her back, she carried a red golfer's bag with thirteen different clubs: driver, 2 wood, 3 wood, 2 iron, 3 iron, 4 iron, 5 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, wedge, and putter, and nine white golf balls. She checked the time on her LydWatch and then brought out the new Winter Model of her phone: a sleek silver phone with a 2.5 inch high definition display, and texted Concorde just two words: You're late.

Five minutes later, Concorde appeared, wearing a blue golf shirt and white pants and carrying a grey golf bag with the same thirteen clubs that Illoaide has. He was with a friend named Jack. Jack was a human with dark brown skin, brown eyes, and Afro-American features and a body build slightly more muscular than Concorde's. He wore an orange golf shirt and white pants.

"Sorry, I'm late," Concorde said, "Had to invite him over as well." "I can accept the apology," replied the drider, "but lateness counts as disqualification. You do remember our wager of course. I hope you're not claustrophobic." "What?!" Concorde replied, "We haven't even started yet."

Illoaide sighed, and then said, "Fine, I'll let this go for now, but the wager still continues!" "Thanks," Concorde replied as he pressed the red button thrice. It buzzed with each press.

Just then Marie's voice spoke from the speaker beside the button, "Who is it?" "It's Illoaide," the drider replied, "Concorde, and what's this guy's name?" "Jack," the "guy" replied. "Uhh, Jack," Illoaide continued. "Wait a moment. I'll let you in," Marie's voice replied, and the steel-plasma gate opened for the three of them.

The outside of the mansion was now amazing. The pathway to the roundabout was now freshly paved and two yards, both planted with green grass were on either side. One yard had flowers while the other one had solar panels and wind turbines. The roundabout's fountain was now fully operational again and happy kois were jumping as they swam in the crystal clear water in their pond.

The facade of the mansion was unchanged, with the order of the twelve windows, now made with steel and Perspex and dyed blue, still the same: six on the left, six on the right, and six above and six below. The ornate door was now silver and above it was a surveillance camera looking down at the three visitors.

Illoaide knocked on the door thrice, and it swung open on its own. The three entered the same large hallway, but now the ceiling above it had a nice chandelier with extra lights and speakers around it, the old sofas were now replaced with new ones, the twelve doors were now painted blue and silver and fully automated, the stairs were now glass and so were its railings, and the grand piano was now painted blue and white.

When all the three went in, the doors closed by themselves. "That was creepy," Illoaide said. "Right you are," Jack replied, "and allow me to introduce myself, young spider lady. I am Jackson Voorhees, a human shapeshifter." He extended a hand, and she shook it. "Try pulling it," Concorde told her and she did; Jack's right arm stretched. "Extendable limbs," the human said as he let go of her hand, "I have that too." His arm then returned to normal.

"Anyways," Illoaide said to Concorde, "Since we heard that Marie has a golf course at the back of this mansion. We do have a little wager among ourselves. If I win, I get to cocoon you for the rest of the day." "And if I win," Concorde said, "you will be cryogenically frozen for the rest of the day." "And if I win," Marie's voice added, "You two will be banned from the mansion for a week."