Next Best Thing

A few weeks later, everyone was at rehearsals, practicing for the concert the next day.

“Take ten!” the choreographer called and everyone breathlessly headed to any nearby seat available.

Jennifer slumped on Justin’s lap and he laughed. “Well hello to you to.” He said cheerily.

“Hi,” she said pleasantly, causing Justin to laugh again. He kissed the top of her head and she closed her eyes.

As Anna jumped off the stage to meet Selena, she ended up being face-to-face with both Maribelle and Celeste.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t the Witch Sisters. Where’s the Wicked Witch of the West?” Anna sneered, and Maribelle looked her up and down.

“Listen here, Anna. You may think you can get away with talking to Jen like that, although I do recall the last time you talked to her like that, she beat the shit out of you, but you better watch your tone with me. Trust and believe, honey. It’s only a matter of time between me and you. You better watch who you’re talking to. I still haven’t forgiven you for what you did to Jen.” She said, and Anna rolled her eyes.

“She had it coming to her, Maribelle. Stop trying to act like her ultimate defender. One day Justin’s gonna get tired of her, and he’s gonna leave her. Then can you guess who’s gonna snap him up the second Jen overexaggerates again? Or maybe, if Justin’s lucky, they’ll just get in an argument like her and Jeremy, and Justin gets in a car accident to escape her.” Anna sneered, and Maribelle jumped to attack her, but was stopped by Celeste.

“You better watch your back, Anna.” Maribelle said through clenched teeth.

“Oh, I’m so scared.” Anna replied sarcastically, then sauntered off. Maribelle cooled off for a moment, and Celeste released her. Maribelle turned to face Celeste.

“Don’t tell Jen about what Anna said. I don’t want her doubting things with her and Justin. Lord knows that boy is head over heels for her.” Maribelle said, and took a deep breath.

“I know. What do you think they have under their sleeves?” Celeste asked, and Maribelle looked over at her best friend, sitting on Justin’s lap and laughing about something. Maribelle smiled as she saw how happy her friend was becoming. How Justin seemed to have taken all her worries and just cast them away.

To say Maribelle approved of Justin would be an understatement. Though Maribelle knew Justin would never be Jeremy to Jennifer, he would be the next best thing.

“No, not like that!” Jennifer cried, smacking Justin on the chest, causing him to laugh. “You’re nasty minded!”

“And you’re so innocent it’s cute.” Justin said, touching her nose with the tip of his finger, causing her to blush. “I bet you’re still a virgin too, huh?”

Jennifer gasped and started to hit Justin repeatedly on the shoulders, making Justin laugh hysterically.

“Of—course—I’m—still a—virgin!” Jennifer whisper-yelled in between swats. Justin was laughing so hard he couldn’t breathe. “You’re not?”

Justin started laughing even harder at Jennifer’s innocent expression, matching her innocent tone. “If I answer that, will you get mad?” he asked, and Jennifer gasped again.

“You’re nasty! Don’t you know you can get diseases?” she asked in a shocked voice. Justin laughed again.

“That’s why they made condoms babe.” He said, and laughed as Jennifer’s mouth gaped open in shock.

“I’m telling your mom,” she teased, and started to get up, but Justin held her tight on his lap, and she laughed. “Pattie!”

Pattie turned to face the two laughing teens and smiled. Jennifer struggled to get the words out between giggles.

“Pattie your son is—” Jennifer was interrupted by Justin leaning her back and pressing his lips her hers.

When Justin finally pulled away, Jennifer laughed. “What would happen if your mom found out?” she asked between giggles.

“I don’t know, but I’m not about to find out.” He said, and Jennifer laughed again. “She’ll probably think we had sex, though.”

Jennifer scrunched up her nose as if she were smelling something unpleasant. “Ew. Sex is nasty.”

Justin laughed and lifted her back to a sitting position. “Spoken like a true six year-old, babe.”

When they got back to the hotel, Jennifer jumped on Justin’s back, and he laughed and spun her around.

When Jennifer had her feet planted on the ground, Justin turned around and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Mm… my beautiful girlfriend.” Justin mumbled, burying his face in her neck, causing her to blush.

“You know what I just realized?” Jennifer asked softly.

“Hmm?”

“I’m the Justin Bieber’s girlfriend. Basically I’m living twenty-six million girl’s dream.” She replied, and Justin chuckled.

“And how does that make you feel?” Justin asked, pressing Jennifer even closer to him.

“Feels pretty good.” Jennifer said softly, and gave his jawbone a soft kiss, causing him to chuckle.

“Oh yeah?” he breathed, causing Jennifer to melt.

“Uh-huh.” She whispered, and Justin chuckled again and lifted Jennifer up to where she was straddling his waist. She gave a light giggle and her cheeks tinted a bright pink as Justin’s hands rested just below her bottom. “I feel kinda lucky.”

“Lucky, you say…” he said, and Jennifer smiled as she stared into his caramel-colored eyes. “I’m the lucky one, says I…”

Jennifer loosely wrapped her arms around Justin’s neck, lacing her fingers in Justin’s hair.

“No I’m definitely the lucky one.” Jennifer replied, then blushed. It seemed like an eternity ago, but Jennifer had the same exact argument with another person, in another time, in another place.

Justin sat on the bed and adjusted Jennifer to where she was still straddling him, but they were both sitting down. Jennifer took her hand from behind his neck and used her index finger to trail a line from his hairline to his chin.

Finally, Jennifer felt it. She felt her heart flutter and butterflies going crazy in her stomach. She knew she was ready. As she traced another line from his hairline to his chin, she cracked a smile.

“I love you,” she uttered silently, and smiled at Justin’s half-shocked, half-ecstatic expression.