Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I exhaled as I took one last look at the mirror. I never felt so nervous in my life. I should have insisted with Mrs. Priestley. I should have told her I couldn't work with Mr. Tremonti. With none of his family. This would not work.

"Justine, are you okay?" I looked at Aunt's May's reflection. I shook my head. I never lied to Aunt May, and I needed to talk with someone.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she sat down on the bed.

"I've been given a new job. A job I have been dreaming of for so long."

"Then why aren't you happy?"

"Aunt May, they have given me a contract with Tremonti Ltd." At the sound of that name, Aunt May's expression changed. It hardened and her mouth twisted.

"So what?" She said after a long silence.

"What do you mean, so what? I can't accept. You know what that family means to us."

"I know, yes, and you shouldn't miss an opportunity like this."

"What? But Aunt May, I can't, I feel bad and-"

"You have to. You swore to take revenge. Initially, I was against it, but I think you were right. No one can do something as terrible as they did and get away with it. Listen, Justine, they will give you the chance to enter their headquarters. No one will suspect of you and you'll have the time to look for something that could destroy them. Why waste an opportunity?"

What she was saying was the truth. I had been dreaming about taking revenge for years now and until now I didn't know yet how I was going to do that.

"Probably you're right."

"I am. Listen, girl, grab your courage and face your nightmares. I'm too old to do something about them, but you're not. You're still young and you need to get rid of them if your want to be happy in your future."

I closed my eyes and let a trembling breath slip away from my lips. I would never be happy, not even if I took my revenge.

"So, who of them are you going to work for?" Aunt May asked.

"Gianluca Tremonti." I answered.

"The son?"

"Yes."

"Oh, I know him. The golden bachelor they call him. He's almost 32 years old, and it seems that he has no intention of getting married."

"Oh. He's very demanding, and he doesn't take a no."

Aunt May's mouth twitched angrily. "I'm sure none of them do. Be careful, Justine, they are dangerous. Don't let any of them manipulate you. Don't make the same mistakes as- " She stopped as tears filled her eyes. She still suffered, even after all these years.

"I won't Aunt May, I promise." She hugged me and ten minutes later I was seated in my car, hoping to arrive in time at his headquarters. This morning there wasn't a lot of traffic and at 8.00 sharp I was parking my car in the car park. I sighed as I looked at the enormous building which covered half of the neighbourhood. At least ten storeys high, a monster of steel and glass. I licked my lips nervously as I grabbed my portfolio and my bag and hurried towards the entrance. I stumbled two times and twisted my leg as I walked with difficulty with my new high-heeled shoes. I sighed as I regretted my awful choice. I should have worn my comfortable ballerinas instead of trying to impress with something uncomfortable and which I wasn't handling well. Finally, I arrived at the reception. A young woman sat behind the desk, gazing at the computer.

"Excuse me, I'm Justine Evans. I have an appointment with Mr. Tremonti."

"Senior or Junior?" She asked, gazing at me from under her spectacles.