Chapter 27

Chapter 27

My hands were sweating as I waited impatiently to appear in front of the judge. The past week has been hell for me. I haven't seen Gianluca since they arrested him. I have left the hospital and went to stay at my aunt's house again. I waited for the police to come for me, but they didn't. I wondered what was happening. Giacomo had called twice, but he knew little too. Only yesterday two police officers informed me I had to appear before a judge to give my deposition. I wondered what was going on. Giacomo told me that Gabriele has been arrested this morning and that he's fearing the worst. I won't give up and I'll do all I can for my family.

"Miss Justine Evans."

I looked up at the police officer who stood by the door.

"I'm coming," I said as I got up and followed him into the courtroom. As I went in, my eyes flew towards Gianluca who was seated on the left side in front of the judge. Gabriele was near him. He couldn't even look at me. But Gianluca did. He hinted a smile. I looked directly into his eyes, and he nodded. As I prepared for the most difficult time in my life, I sighed nervously. They showed me to the witness box and then asked to stand.

"Ms. Evans, now grab the cross and take the oath before we start with our questioning. Remember that lying is a perjury and is punishable."

I nodded and asked God for forgiveness before I swore to say the truth. I already knew that I would not do it, and I hoped God would realize that I was doing this for love. Just as I sat down, my heart missed a beat as at the right corner I saw someone else, a familiar face. He was looking at me with a strange expression on his face. He seemed so old and distraught. So I was right. The police chief had been arrested too.

"So Ms. Evans, here we are. Finally, your parents will have justice." The prosecution lawyer said. "What we need from you is to repeat the evidence you gave ten years ago. I know the case was closed because we didn't have enough proof to convict anyone of the murder of your parents, but after all these years a lost file emerged. This file was hidden by the police chief of that time, so we couldn't use it."

"I'm afraid you're mistaken," I said in a weak voice. The prosecution lawyer stared at me for a moment.

"What do you mean?"

"The chief hid nothing."

"No Miss, he did and thankfully detective Malloy got this file after all these years. We have a tape in it. Do you want to hear it?"

"No need," I replied. "I know exactly what tape you're talking about, and I know exactly what I had said."

"Great, then you could be so kind to repeat it here."

"Certainly," I said. "I accused the Tremonti's family of the accident. I gave an excellent description of their car, giving also the information of the number plate and I said that it was the car which caused the accident that night." I finished.

"Exactly. So now could you confirm all that again so that we can proceed and justice can be made?"

"I'm afraid I can't." The prosecution lawyer shot me a critical look.

"What's does that mean, you can't?"

"I can't lie anymore. I mean, the first time I did, I was just a kid. I was angry and frightened. I had lost both my parents, and I thought that by blaming someone for what happened to me I would feel better, but I was wrong."

"I'm afraid I don't understand." The judge looked at me with a speculative glance, waiting impatiently for me to clarify.

"I lied," I repeated.