Chapter 20

Chapter 20

He cleared his throat and Gianluca let go of me and spun to look at the person who was standing near the window. I pulled down my skirt hurriedly. I felt terribly embarrassed and preferred to look down instead of facing the man who kept looking at us with amusement.

"Who are you?" Gianluca asked as he composed himself.

"Sorry to intrude. I see that right now is not a good moment, but I'm afraid I have to interrupt whatever was going on." He said as he smirked.

"You haven't replied to my question. This is my office, and no one comes inside without my permission." Gianluca retorted angrily.

"I'm Detective Andrew Malloy and I wish to have a word with you." He said calmly. "I've come into your office because your receptionist said that I'd find you here. Apparently, you sneaked out informing no one and I know why now." He said as he looked at me. Hot blood coloured my face as I pressed Gianluca's arm. He was rigid and tense. I could feel his pulse speeding up. Was he frightened? Why? Who was this Malloy? Did Gianluca know him?

"I was on break." He replied. "Justine, would you leave us alone please, so I see how I can help Detective Malloy. I'll come to your office as soon as I'll finish."

I nodded. I couldn't wait to go away. I didn't like that man. I didn't like his expression and especially I didn't like the way he looked at me as if he pitied me. I wished to hear what they were saying, but I decided not to do it. Gianluca will tell me afterwards. I was his lover now. I sighed and smiled as memories of our day together flashed through my mind.

Gianluca's POV

I have to keep calm. I don't have to jump to conclusions. This detective could be here for many reasons. I invited him to take a seat and then I sank into my chair behind my desk.

"So, Detective Malloy, what can I do for you? It must be important since you waited for me." I said in a calm voice, even though I wasn't the least calm. I was trembling inside.

"I don't know if you ever heard about me, Mr Tremonti. I am famous for solving cases which have remained unsolved for years. You know how many files of unsolved cases the police have in their quarters? Millions. I work on those files, trying to give justice to the victims and their families."

I swallowed, and cold sweat slid down my back. This man was frightening the hell out of me.

"No, I have never heard about you." I said. "I don't have time to watch news and TV. I'm a very busy businessman."

"Not very busy to have an affair or two." He said with a smile.

"My personal life is none of your business. Can you please tell me what do you want from me?"

He didn't seem in a hurry. He kept looking at me. Studying me. Was he realising that I was nervous? I had to keep calm, very calm. I didn't like his gaze.

"I have made research. You're very popular with ladies. The fact that you're engaged to Ms Alana doesn't stop you from having a mistress."

"Who sent you? Alana? Is that all? She's spying on me now?"

"She would have every right. You're treating her like shit. I always hated men like you."

"You have a completely wrong idea about me. If you knew the story of our relationship, you wouldn't say that. I'm not in love with Alana, I never was and never will be and she knows. Ours is a relationship of convenience. While I'm in love with the woman you saw before."

"Glad that you're not just using that innocent girl." He said. "Anyway, let's arrive at the point. Where were you on the 8 of May of eight years ago?"

I was going to die, right there on the spot. Here it comes. The past is reaching me. All the mistakes and bad things I've done are re-surfing.