vii.

07 | THE PRESENT AND THE PAST

The Dawn Treader had had been sailing for 9 days after meeting with Coriakin, and they weren't even close to finding the island or seeing the blue star.

Caroline was lying in one if the cots below deck, a thin blanket lazily thrown over her as a source of heat for the upcoming storm, as she laid curled up next to Edmund, who was running his fingers softly through her hair.

"Do you remember last time you were here, and Peter kept watching us?" Caroline asked, "I was so close to slapping him,".

Edmund hummed, "Or when, Reepicheep embarrassed Caspian in front of the entire army when we first met?".

"They were great times – you know, before the whole war officially started and stuff," Caroline replied.

"I missed times like those when I was back in England," Edmund sighed.

"I know, it wasn't fun here without the Pevensie family, I was stuck with Caspian and a mouse," Caroline agreed.

"I did miss you," Edmund whispered, "I would've stayed if I could,".

Caroline softly nodded, "And I you,".

♞♞♞

Another five days had passed, making the trip come to a totally of fourteen day and the crew were incredibly tired and the storm had grown, making it impossible to see anything.

Caspian, Edmund, Drinian and Caroline were all in the kings room, discussing the strategy for the trip. It had been to long of a trip to of found nothing and if the crew couldn't function correctly, then they were going to nowhere.

"So, we're stuck here," Drinian pointed to the map, "At half rations and food and water to last for two weeks – maximum. This is your last chance to turn around, your majesty's,".

"Drinian's, right. If we can't see the blue star then we're lost, and if the crew can't work we'll get nowhere," Caroline said.

"Or get eaten by a sea-serpent," Edmund grinned, winking at the knight.

"Inappropriate," Caspian muttered.

"These are strange seas we're sailing on, the likes of which I've never seen before," Drinian continued.

"Then perhaps, captain, you'd like to be the one to explain to Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family?" Caspian asked, standing up and leaning over the table.

"I'll get back to work," Drinian sighed, "Just a word of warning, the sea can play nasty tricks on a crews mind. Very nasty,".

Caroline sighed, "You know he's right, Caspian. If we don't find something soon, the search is over,".

Caroline exited the room, covering her head with her hands as she quickly made her way below deck, changing into an extremely long shirt that belonged to Edmund before laying down on the cot, the high king soon joining her.

"Is that my shirt? The one you mentioned earlier," Edmund asked.

Caroline shrugged, "Maybe,".

It didn't take for the knight to fall asleep once she was comfortable and laying across Edmund's chest, his arm wrapped around her waist. But the high king was still awake, and he could see the distress etched across Caroline's face as she stirred in his arms.

It was a bad dream. There was so much blood, dead bodies piling up into a hill. And there was a girl, holding a sword that was dipped in blood. The girl looked dirty – covered in dry blood, her hair a mess, her clothes tattered. The girl slowly turned around, her face visible. It was herself.

"Caroline,"

Caroline awoke to a sudden gasp, her hands reaching up to feel her face to make sure she was okay before panic settled in and she glanced around, noticing Lucy standing near her, Caspian also awake and Edmund sitting up with a worried look.

"Let me guess, bad dreams?" Edmund inquired, looking at the knight, king and queen, "So, either we're all going mad or something's playing with our minds,".

"That's reassuring," Caroline mumbled.

Caroline ran a hand through her hair, laying back down with her back against Edmund's chest.

It wasn't the last time the group was going to awake from a nightmare, and that scared them. Especially Caroline who couldn't figure out why her nightmare was herself.

A/N: Another chapter, yay.

I love this story. I love Edoline. I love Caroline. It's perfect.

Be prepared for the next chapter, maybe have some tissues present.

What do you think Caroline's nightmare and mind tricks are about?