Chapter XIV. The Invitation and The Even Stronger Contract.

The next day we prepared everything for the party. Because it wasn’t a commoner party, we first needed to get invited and that meant that I had to wear a pretty dress to the holder of the party to convince him that the party would only be more fun if I was also invited.

And so we went there, and my pride was extremely hurt when they first didn’t want to let me come to the party.

“Why not? If I may ask you.”

“Look little girl, it has been a while since you last paid attention to those around you. Maybe you have to stop doing the things you do and realize all those people that you left behind after your parents died.”

I bowed my head for the man behind the desk and he was immediately surprised about the fact that I, a real Shiver, did that.

“I humbly apologize, sir.” I said.

“Well well. Your parents died, it’s not like it’s completely your fault.”

“No! I humbly apologize for my improper behaviour the last few years.”

“Well well...”

“Please, forgive me.” I said, again bowing my head.

“Well, if you are apologizing like this then who am I to still not invite you?”

“I thank you very much.”

“It’s nothing. Make sure you dress properly. But well, I wouldn’t expect anything less from the Countess of course.”

Again I bowed my head slightly.

“Let’s go, Sebastian, Ciel.”

“Yes, my lady.”

They opened the door for me as I walked out of the room. And I got some kind of adrenaline boost from knowing that I will meet the murderer tonight. And also the unknown man that my dad really liked.

“You seem rather excited, my lady.” said Ciel.

“Because I am. Don’t you think it kind of surprising that I will meet a friend of my dad through this?”

“Well, it not very common, no.” smirked Sebastian.

I nodded.

There was a moment of silence as we walked outside and stepped into the carriage. Ciel stayed outside because he was going to be the driver.

It wasn’t even five minutes since we had been on our way or Sebastian started to grin.

“What’s so funny, Sebastian?” I asked.

“Nothing really. I only thought about tonight’s party.”

“What’s with it?”

“Well, a special party requires a special appearance. Don’t you think so too my lady?” Sebastian grinned.

“Explain yourself.”

He smirked again.

“I mean that you have to wear a proper dress, young lady. Yesterday I bought one for you that would suit you really well. I think you have to avoid stairs though and otherwise I will carry you.” smiled Sebastian.

“What!? Is that what you were thinking about?” I said angry.

“Well... yes.”

“Unbelievable.”

He grinned.

“I am sorry young lady, but as your butler I am responsible for the way you look and how others create an image of you. It’s my job to make sure you always have the dresses that are just made for you and that you even wear the smile that you don’t even mean.”