Humans Are Weird *Eva*

I find restaurants to be the strangest things they have ever created. They have humans serve other humans. That's like, the ultimate laziness. They even have other humans cook for them! You have food at home, go cook that. You do not need other humans serving you.

"This is weird," I say quietly.

"I'll explain all of this later," Connor says.

"Explain what?" Connor's dad asks.

"How to transfer a polynomial into vertex form," Connor says. His dad nods. What the heck is a polynomial? "I have a lot of explaining to do."

"Yeah ya do," I say.

"I'm going to go use the restroom. I'll be right back," Connor's dad says. We both nod.

I guess I forgot to mention we were in the restaurant. We're in what they call a booth. I'm sitting on one side next to Connor while his dad sits across from us. It's quite noisy in here. There are televisions all over the place, displaying sports games I have no interest in. Waiters and waitresses walk around carrying trays with plate of food. People cheer as something happens on a screen. A player runs a ball to the edge of a field?

"I never understood the big hype about football," Connor says. My attention shifts to him. He's scrolling through some app. It sure has a lot of pictures on it.

"Football? That's what you call it? Why football?" I ask. "It's not like they're hitting it with their foot. This game isn't even interesting."

"That's America for ya. We call soccer soccer and the rest of the world calls it football and football American football," Connor says, double tapping his screen.

"Confusing," I say.

"Very," Connor says.

"What are you doing?" I ask. Connor looks up at me.

"It's called Instagram. See, you have an account where you post pictures and stuff. You follow other people and you can view their pictures too," Connor says.

"Are there like different accounts?" I ask.

"Types? Yeah. Like, there's fandom accounts that are dedicated to one fandom or many fandoms. Then there are positivity accounts, personal accounts, Tumblr accounts. You name it, there's probably one for it," Connor says. I had no idea what he was talking about but I'm just going to act like I understood. I just had one question.

"What's a fandom?" I ask.

"Oh gosh. Well, let's use a book for an example. When you read a book you really like, you call yourself a fan of that book. Well, a group of fans from the same book make up the fandom. It's kind of like a kingdom for fans," Connor says.

"Do they get to live in a castle?" I ask.

Connor laughs and shakes his head. "Not quite. But they get to see all the amazing edits and fanarts and other stuff," Connor says. His dad comes back from the bathroom. That was one long trip but okay.

"So have you been sight seeing?" he asks as he sits down.

"Nope. Haven't been really out of the house besides to go to school and to your house," I say.

"There's a lot of shops uptown. I'd show you but I'm not the shopping kind of guy. That's more my wife," Mr. Blake says. Mr. Blake is a lot shorter than Connor's dad. My thoughts prefer the short way out.

"Oh that's alright. I understand guys aren't really big on shopping. Well, most guys," I say.

"I told you that if you wanted to go shopping, I'd take you," Connor says. He didn't technically say that. He said we. Not I would. Although, works for me.