Chapter 5 - Get out

Isaac

Courtney and I were in the middle of, um... you know, something. I wasn't really in the mood tonight but she kept insisting. Just as we're about to take it one step further, the doorbell rings. Courtney, clearly pissed off about by the interruption, jumps up to answer the door. She throws her clothes, well my clothes, and makes her way towards the door, stumbling in the process. She opens the door and shuts it a little so I can't see who's there. She keeps looking back at me with a look of worry on her face but then her sweet expression disappears and turns into something I've never seen before. I'm starting to wonder, who's at my door but I can't see with Courtney blocking my view.

"Who's at the door?" I questioned rising from the couch

"No one, just a nobody." Whoa wait, where'd that side of her come from. This is my house how could she not tell me who's here. I slide past her to get a glimpse at who's at the door.

A girl who's beaten, bruised, and bloody stands on my porch. She seems familiar but I can't see her face well. I squint my eyes and look closely at the girl's face. I'm shocked to see who it is standing on my doorstep.

"Hanna, is that you?" I pray for reply, but nothing leaves her mouth. Instead, her body just falls to the floor. It's like time slowed down and the world stopped. I reached down and picked up her bruised and bloody body. All I heard was Courtney's yelling and screaming at me but I couldn't make out the muffled words. My only worry right now is Hanna. Not Courtney, not mom. Just. Hanna.

I lay her down on the couch slowly and lightly, afraid I'll hurt her even more. I rush to the bathroom and flung open the medicine cabinet, grabbed the first aid kit, and ran out as fast as I can. I rush back to Hanna and see some swelling in her face. I run to my freezer and grab a bunch of ice packs. I grab some medical tape, wrap the ice pack in a rag, and tape them to her forming bruises. I start to wrap up her wounds but I'm distracted by Courtney sniffling behind me. I look up at Courtney and there are tears streaming down her face, not from sadness or worry, but from anger and jealousy.

"Courtney, we need to get her to a hospital. Can you drive or call 911?" Her red face twisted with anger and disgust at my words.

"I am your girlfriend. This is my time, not this little tramp's . I should've left her outside where she belongs."

"Do you see how bad she is bleeding. Look at her, her lips are blue and her skin is cold to the touch. She's lost so much blood, we need to get her to hospital!" Courtney glanced at her broken body for a split second.

"She probably deserved it." I can't believe the words that just left her mouth. "Drive her yourself, Isaac. I don't care what happens to this whore." She spit in Hanna's face and slapped her too. I push her away from Hanna into a glass table. She whines like a little baby. I don't care if she's hurt.

"Get out."

"What?!"

"I said get out of my house! Leave! We are done! No one, absolutely no one deserves this! You spit in her face! Slap her! You are a horrible human being! What did I even see in you!"

"Isaac, I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mea-"

"Don't you ever call Hanna a whore. Don't you ever, EVER say someone should deserve this. And don't you dare think you will do this to her or anyone for the matter." The room stays silent other than our breathing. You can barely hear Hanna's.

"J-Just take your things and go. Goodbye Courtney."

"Fine. Whatever, I was sleeping with your best friend anyways." She gathers up her things with fury and anger, not caring about her bleeding. Her words didn't phase me. I carry Hanna bridal style to my car, make sure her wounds have pressure on them, and sped towards the hospital.

(Skip car ride)

As soon as the nurses and doctors see her, they put her on a gurney and rush her off. I make my way to towards the front desk.

"Are you her family?" I don't know what to say because I want to see Hanna.

"I'm her boyfriend," The lady looked unsatisfied. What is that not enough? This is where my acting skills come in handy. I look down at my hands and whisper.

"And my soon to be fiancée." Her eyes went from blank to upset.

"Oh my lord, you can go in as soon as the doctors are finished." I make my way over towards the waiting room. As soon as I sit down, the receptionist comes into the room.

"They just finished Mr. Martinez. She's awake too but not for long. She's in room 392. " I just stand there like a stick stuck in the mud. "Go. Ask her."

I thank her quickly but before I speed away she says,

"I hope she says yes." I smiled and nod, making my way to her room. I chuckle to myself, "I hope she says yes, too"

...................................................