Roles

Twins

Chapter 9: Roles

“What?”

“What?!?”

“WHAT?!?!”

“Kudo, stop going insane! You’re over reacting!” Sonoko commanded the lad who almost pulled all of his hair off his head as he read the contents of a certain paper posted on the bulletin board by the stairs.

“Kaitou, Sonoko’s right. You should calm down,” advised Ran, though she, herself, was a bit uneasy about the situation. They walked their way towards their classroom.

“Calm down?!? How can I calm down when that smarty pants will be paired up with my Aoko?!? MY AOKO!!” replied the lad, his veins popping out.

Sonoko answered him with a witchy laugh and said, “So you’re mad at your twin now? Finally, no more Kudo twins, no more screaming.fan.girls-filled mornings in school.” She smirked while crossing her arms in front of her chest.

“Sonoko~” Ran’s tone was more of a peacemaker.

They arrived at their classroom and headed towards Kaitou’s seat, beside the window. Wanting to help lighten up his mood, Ran turned to Kaitou and said, “Maybe we could do something about this. Perhaps, you could talk to your brother to give you the role, or you could ask the director and other responsible people to give the lead female role to another girl.” She smiled shyly, thinking her suggestions were not good. It suddenly came into her mind the thought of her playing the princess role with Shinichi as her prince. They were in a romantic scene – all their hands clasped together and their faces inching towards each other. Her face instantly went red as she shook the thought off her head.

“No~ I can’t do anything about it! They’re all against me!” The lad replied childishly before running to a corner. There he sat facing the walls, hugging his knees and poking the floor, a gloomy aura surrounding him.

Though worried, Ran couldn’t help but smile at his immature actions.

It was already a week after the school play festival was announced. Screening and auditions were made in order to choose the appropriate characters for 3-A and 3-B’s play. However, all the girls who applied for the princess role turned out to be exaggerated in delivering the lines and projecting their gestures. The fact that Heartthrob Twin #1 was the prince they were going to win was the biggest factor that caused this.

That was actually why the girl remaining silent at the side was chosen to be the princess. According to the playwright, she was the one who seemed to be best suited for the role. That time she didn’t seem interested in the auditions and stuff as she looked more worried about something else. Her face showed pure concern and the way her eyes shifted from one focus to another would tell anyone that she was longing. It was in fact the emotion needed in the play – utmost yearning for a lost love. Without her knowing it, the playwright, the director and the advisers chose her.

Of course it also surprised Aoko to know that she would be the lead actress. She tried her best to convince them that she isn’t fit for the role but the play management was too sturdy to sway. In the end, she had to give in for the sake of her best friend, the assistant director, and a junior high friend, Megumi the playwright.