Energy Drink -- Part 3: How Well Do You Know Each Other

Shinichi and Kaito arrived at the karaoke room that Ran and Sonoko told them about. They were carrying a chocolate cake they bought as a congratulatory present for Ran.

“Woah, so you’re the champion for the third time in a row?!?!” the usually composed Shinichi exclaimed upon seeing the banner hanging on the wall as they entered. The fact that Ran was a pro in karate was already a surprise that he has gotten over, but now another one has been presented to him. “How come I didn’t know about it? I mean, we belong to the same batch in Teitan, right?” his brows were really expressing confusion and surprise, but his lips were still in a smile.

“Baka, there’s always a big congratulations banner at school whenever Ran wins the tournament. Don’t tell me you weren’t able to notice that.” Kaito looked skeptical.

The still utterly surprised Shinichi shook his head.

“Maybe you were handling a case when the banners were posted.” The optimistic Ran chuckled.

“Probably,” Sonoko agreed. “Didn’t Kaito tell you about it?”

Shinichi shook his head and everyone eyed Kaito in an instant. “What?” the younger Kudo asked, wearing a guilty smile. “We’re not the updating-each-other-about-each-other’s-friends type of brothers, you know.”

Ran pouted at him as Sonoko glared at the same guy. The startled Kaito then followed, “But it was only before. Now we’re, you know, talking about each other’s lives more.” His hands were gesturing randomly in an attempt to explain better.

Good thing his brother’s curiosity was there to save him. “So that’s the reason why you really wanted to participate in the tournament despite your injury?” Shinichi asked Ran. “It would’ve been regretful not to at least try, right?”

“No~ She just didn’t want to disappoint you, since you have expressed your interest to watch her fight,” Sonoko and Kaito commented on the side, both snickering mischievously.

Ran fell speechless while Shinichi impassively said, “Oh.”

“She wanted to impress you,” Sonoko said, giggling evilly.

“And she wouldn’t let her sprain get in the way,” Kaito added, stifling his evil laughter.

Ran wanted to scold the two but keeping her cheeks from blushing kept her busy. She only glanced at Shinichi from time to time since she couldn’t look at him straight in that situation.

It was a relief for Ran, though, that Shinichi was smiling when he asked, “Me?”

“Yes, you,” the two naughty cats on the side chorused.

“She didn’t want you to see her give up,” Sonoko-cat said.

“Or be in her weakest state~” Kaito-cat added.