The Props

Twins

Chapter 10: The Props

“Irasshaimase!”

That loud greeting was heard after a chime sounded upon being hit by the door. It was followed by a lad in blue high school uniform entering the lumber shop.

“How may I help you, sir?” asked the middle-aged man who appears to be the owner of the store.

“Do you have something that we could use as props for a scene in a balcony? I mean, the railings and the veranda itself.” The lad had to get his hand from his pocket in order to describe what he was talking about.

The man smiled and replied, “Just a minute sir, I know just the thing for that.” He then went into the room behind the counter.

Instinctively, the lad decided to observe his surroundings a little while waiting.

‘This shop seems to be a little older than I thought... but the supplies in here are indeed plenty and--'  His thoughts were interrupted when his cell phone suddenly rang.

“Kaito, you’re in the wood shop already, right?” asked the girl on the other end of the line.

“You’d better be!” yelled another one from the background. “It’s so crowded in here and we’re dying to get the stuff we have to buy. Better do your job there well or else!”

He heard the first girl giggle and say, “Sonoko, you’re being tough on him again~” She then turned back to the phone and said, “Ganbatte ne, Kaito-kun.”

Before the lad could respond, the girls hanged up already. All he could do was to heave a sigh.‘Those two... They even dare complain when I’m the one here who went to five different stores already to buy these’ He looked at the plastic bags he was holding, ‘...and still have to go to five more because of this VERY long list they made.’

The store owner came back and showed him some pieces of wood. He even gave some tips on how to construct the terrace ledge they were going to make.

‘How pathetic. I’m missing all the action out there; the world might be needing my help already. Right now there could be thieves on the loose or murderers planning some assassination or syndicates doing their smuggling business, but I, the great detective Kudo Shinichi, am here, buying props materials for our play.’

After buying the wood, Shinichi started walking to find the next store on the list. Good thing the wood pieces he bought were smaller than what he expected. The store owner said they would just have to fasten those bundled wood pieces together to make the balcony. Now he has lesser tasks and a smaller load.

‘But then...’ His mind wandered again. ‘At least I wouldn’t have to act and play the piano there.’ He thought of his twin and smirked. ‘I wonder if he’s doing his role well. I’m more worried about his Shinichi role than his prince role. He could be a little out of himself when with Aoko.’