Chapter 1

Marian up above.

I sighed again, as I watched the guard once again try and get past my defensive stance, swinging his wooden sword down towards my side only to be stopped by the swing of my wooden sword. The man suddenly pushed off, breaking contact and we circled. I will give him some credit, he unlike the rest of the male populace, didn't completely underestimate my abilities.

Then again his job is to never underestimate anyone. I looked over my shoulder to check on my brother, only to find him walking with his head in a book, completely oblivious that he was about to fall over the table. It was the chance my opponent had been looking for. And with a quick move, he had his sword against my throat and standing closer than I would've liked. He quickly moved away from me, avoiding the awkward moment.

Suddenly, there was clapping. I looked up to find the prince watching us, amusement evident on his face. Quickly, my opponent and I bowed, but Prince John quickly waved it off. "Don't bother, I only came here to talk to Marian." He motioned for me to come forward.

I quickly did so, nodding to my opponent as I left with the prince. Leaving behind my brother as well, but I knew my opponent, Lance, would keep an eye on him. All too soon we were out of sight and I was pushed up against the wall. The prince towered over me, but not by much. I was tall compared to most girls. He stared down on me, before bringing up his hand to caress my cheek. I will admit, I was not expecting him to do that. He's usually not the gentle type.

The prince brought his face down to mine, meeting his lips with mine. I knew exactly what he expected from me, so I deepened the kiss. He grunted in approval, taking my arms roughly with his hands. But just as sudden, he pulled back. I was breathing heavily as I looked up at him, wondering what he was going to do next.

Instead of assaulting me once more, he let his hand push back his hair, and just smirked at me. If I didn't dislike him so much, I would have slapped that handsome face long before now. No matter how unlady like it was. But then again, I'm not much of a lady. John once again caged my body with his against the wall, breathing in my scent, and said. "My room, tonight."

I nodded, and he left. His smirk full on his face.

Damn him.

I shook it off, and walked back to the training yard. A scowl formed on my lips at the sight of my brother, as predicted before, on the ground next to the table. Lance was offering him his hand and helped him to his feet. My brother, Joshua, looked a bit embarrassed, but I swear he does this every time he comes to 'watch' me train. You would think he'd remember there was a table set up against the wall holding weapons on it, but no.

I stalked over to them, crossing my arms over my chest. Joshua noticed my annoyed look and looked at me sheepishly, shrugging his shoulders. "I swear, it just appeared out of thin air."

I couldn't help it, a small smile appeared on my lips as I rolled my eyes at him. "Let's get you cleaned up, you klutz."

"Like I'm the one who needs it. You stink." My brother says, teasing my as he waved his hand over his nose.

Again I rolled my eyes, but don't say anything. I looked over at Lance who has an amused look over our sibling antics. I smiled my thanks to him and led Joshua out of the room. We needed to get ready for dinner.

*********

Dinner went as expected. Court ladies stuck their noses at the sight of me, even though I was in fact dressed like any other woman in the room, a very pretty light pink dress I might add too. Only one of them was nice to me, and that's my best friend the Lady Abigail of Nottingham, she was the sole daughter of the renowned Sherif of Nottingham. Abigail had been sent here by her father to learn the ways of the court, she was only fifteen, the same age as my brother for the moment.